Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursery rhymes that make you wonder

Options
  • 20-02-2024 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭

Mother duck said quack quack quack quack, but none of the 5 little ducks came back.

That mother would wanna get the finger out and go look for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

In the first four verses, we're informed that the one duck each time does not come back. But the final verse is:

One little duck went out one day,

Over the hills and far away.

Mummy duck said, "quack quack quack quack,"

And all of the five little ducks came back.

Not sure what kind of delinquent ducks you're hanging around with, but the mother duck in the rhyme gets them all back in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Yeah but not through anything she did. Social services would be called in real life. That is if ducks had social services. Even in real life she might actually go looking for them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Do you speak duck? The "quack quack quack quack" in the first four verses could be her telling them to go off and play, but to be careful. Which they do. Despite them being "over the hills and far away", she's clearly within earshot of them. "far away" is relative to a duck, not a human, and may only be a matter of metres.

Then the "quack quack quack quack" in the last line could be her instructing them to come back immediately, which they clearly do.

When you're using a language with such a limited vocabulary as ducks are, a lot of detail can be missed in the translation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The ducks were adult children who left home as adult children do, but just came back because they went to Dublin and coundn't find a place to live.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

The Old Woman that Lived in a Shoe

There was an old woman who lived in a shoe.

She had so many children, she didn't know what to do.

She gave them some broth without any bread;

Then whipped them all soundly and put them to bed.

Where were the child protection agencies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

It's like Groot in Guardians of the Galaxy (movies, I know its different in the comics). The entire language consists of I am groot, but depending on the intonation, they mean different things.

Also, ducks have different dialects. In Belfast Quack, quack! means "Walk faster you dose"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Archeron

Poor Humpty Dumpty should never have had access to that unsafe unprotected area in the first place.

And of all the kings horses and all the kings men, not one was a qualified first aider. Workplace negligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Rock a bye baby. Who puts a baby up a tree unless your off your tree yourself. Tusla will be very busy when I give them a call.

I've always wondered - why is he portrayed as an egg?

• Advertisement
Advertisement