Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating advisor?

Options
  • 20-02-2024 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭

Hi, so I'm in my new property a couple of months now. It's Baltic. And I like a house to be on the cooler side, but this is freezing.

it's 40 years old, and I suspect the oil boiler most be fairly close to that too. Rads definitely need flushing or new ones put in.

there is for sure very little insulation anywhere. There's a room in the attic, so would need ceilings taken down and replaced to do insulation.

I'm not willing to spend the amount of money required for retro fitting and all that lark. So, where do I start? Is there any such thing as a completely independent advisor on hearing and insulating your home? Any recommendations and what should I expect to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Where are you based?

Have a squint at the attached.

With respect to price it depends what you want?

Running some numbers:

Travel time each way to site. 2 hrs

Walk through priority and discuss client wants/needs/priorities/finances/ etc etc in detail 2-3hrs

Write up a short report and send to client: 2-3 hrs

So easy to spend a day on it

[I know this as I completed 50 of these in 2022]

So the price will depend on how the energy assessor prices his time.

What's the BER rating and when was it done?

The answer to this can impact the above

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Hi, I'm in Dublin 15.

Wow, that's a very comprehensive booklet, thanks very much for that, I'll get through it tomorrow. Thanks

The ber very says D1, but to be honest I've been in far warmer houses with a lower ber cert. Was done in 2021 if I remember right. I was reading it yesterday and it says the walls are poor. But it says the doors are too, and they seem ok to me, there's even a porch on the front should help a bit?

re There's a room in the attic, so would need ceilings taken down and replaced to do insulation.

does it look like this

Yes inside does. Outside it has a hipped roof.

You might find the attached annotated extract from the big document useful

• Advertisement

Oh thanks, I can see my type of roof alright, so better idea if what needs to be done.

Attic definitely needs looking at. I suppose the od boiler and rads are next important.

Thanks for your help

Advertisement