Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Trade-in opinion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Generally you will always do better selling your car privately and negotiating the cash price of the new car. However your Insignia wouldn't have been a particularly desirable model and you could have been months dealing with low ball offers and time wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭cr-07

Ya, my exact thought process - didn't want to be sitting on the Insignia for ages trying to shift it. The mileage is high, but nothing wrong with it to the best of my knowledge. I'm curious as to what he'd let it go for (or if he's getting any offers at all!)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's very likely that any discount on the car you bought from them was applied to your trade-in value to inflate it. Otherwise they wouldn't make much profit on only asking 1500 more than they gave you for it against the 3 Series. Moving figures around is what dealers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Hooked

The insignia is up for 5500 (in a dealers) so he's probably willing to take 5'odd for it... so lets pretend you waited weeks, months even, to get it sold privately and got 4500 for it (ball park)... and after all that time - the BMW was still there @ 35,950... and you went in with cash... straight sale. You'd probably have picked it up for 34500 ish. There's deffo a grand in the haggle anyway. Maybe 2.

So - you're parting with 30k - in theory. You're 2 grand worse off.

We're in the same boat with a new car purchase... could've sold the wife's car private - got MAYBE 1500/2000 more. Got a few low-ball offers but the current dealer has it well priced (6 grand better than the worst offer) - probably inflated it's valuation vs any price drop for a straight sale on the new jammer. There's no way we were trading it in for the other 'low ball' offers we got.

So we get a clean, quick deal... but are probably out 1500/2000 had we sold it ourselves. And that's best case IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭User1998

Realistically you would have only gotten €4,000 for the Insignia privately it wouldn’t be a quick sale?

You might have gotten €1,000 or so off the asking price as a cash buyer.

I think you did okay, you didn’t have to deal with any time wasters and you got a lovely car to replace it with.

I’ve seen people do a lot worse with trade ins, you get people on here the odd time who get offered say €1,000 for their trade in whereas if they had of just came as cash buyers they probably could have negotiated €1,000 off the price anyway, thus practically giving their car away for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭goochy

Big Miles on the insignia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Assuming that 330e is competitively priced, sorry I don't know the market for them these days, you did Ok, in reality you prob got 3k for the insignia using the assumption that you could negotiate 1k off the 330e straight deal (may or may not be true)

On the same assumption the dealer will accept under 5k for the insignia, meaning you'd never get more than 4k privately selling it.

All in all, you possibly could have come out max 1k better off but that's unknown to the rest of us, I'd be fairly sure you did ok.

Enjoy your new car, it looks great, that's a great looking generation 3 series and a great car to drive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

Where are these dealers knocking €1000 off the asking price of any remotely desirable car? I can tell you one thing, you wouldn't get in my gate if you expected me to drop a grand off the price of anything, and every single person I know in the trade is the same.

Every deal is different , if i car has been in stock a fair while - knocking a grand off isnt a bad idea . but if a dealer gets in a desirable car and has priced it right - it would be mad to knock 1,000 off price for 1st person who came to view it

I think all in all it was a good deal overall. He was originally only offering €3,000 for the trade-in, but pushed him for the €4,000. I also tried to get €1,000 knocked off the original price but he wouldn't budge.

Another place I was looking at would only offer €1,000 for my own. Overall it was a nice quick easy sale/buy, so I think I faired out okay.

A lad in work was thinking about offering me the €4,000 for the insignia and he is looking for his first car. I advised him against the idea, as he'd struggle to insure a 2.0 diesel for a first car.

Also didn't want to deal with it if anything went wrong with the car - next thing you'd know is that "I've sold him a lemon" etc

• Advertisement

Surely the norm would be to increase the show price to allow for the haggle?

Say if a dealer has bought a car for €30,000, they'd advertise the car for ~€34,000, and let it go for ~€32,000?

yes but alot of places prefer to advertise low and get more interest , problem is some people even when they know deal is good insist on getting more off as it makes them feel good about themselves and their bargaining skills !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I have got multiple 1000s off many vehicles in the last year or so by shopping around and playing deals off against each other. On about 10 vehicles in work. There's multiple sales people hounding a colleague looking at cars at the moment.

I'm seeing price drops on cars I'm following on done deal too, not really looking at buying them, just tracking some cars on the market out of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Casati

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭millington

The price is the price. Thats the way everyone I know works. If the car sits in stock, it gets price dropped. Or maybe a few hundred off the asking price for an easy sale. No business can sustain dropping thousands off any sale. A small dealer may sell 50 cars a year, a grand off each is €50,000 handed away. Multiply this by 10 for bigger dealers. It simply does not happen in general across the used car industry. Maybe with a trade in, they might decide to give more for it or get a better underwrite.

A good dealer knows the value of their stock

Advertisement