Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Enough Phone 160-200 at a push

Options
  • 20-02-2024 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

I asked this in the chinese thread and so far no reply, I would like to get a Xiaomi as they are meant to be good and the “irish store” (I got a powerbank from them and no issues) has them and covers so kill two birds with one stone (rather than getting a case on temu etc and must wait to use phone)

But I am open too suggestions as so many phones and a lot of the "cheap" lists/youtube videos are 300 upwards

The girlfriends Huawei y6 2019 (i think) is starting to lag etc, so I have pushed her too change, I have looked for another Huawei as she isn’t great with tech and doesn’t want to learn a new phone, then I did look at Honour as similar

I would say about 160-170 from a quick look

Just the usual social media, whatsapp etc

She uses the camera once in a blue moon

I don’t see too much point in 5G and I don’t she would be too worried, just once she has signal

Thanks for any help as I am lost here and don’t want to be listening to well you told me to get 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

You could have a look at Harvey Norman etc. A lot of retailers selling sim free. They have the Redmi Note 12 for around 180.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I just bought the Redmi Note 12 (not the Pro version) from Aliexpress (but with a EU warehouse so no customs) for €130 delivered. Havent received it yet but I owned the Redmi Note 10 before and was very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭jj880

Great spec Xiaomi offer here with Vodafone:

Get an Eir sim for 10 euro, put it into your current phone pretending its your current number, buy this switch offer in store.

https://www.eir.ie/mobile/prepay/

Then put your gf's usual sim into the phone and bin the Eir sim. Xiaomis are always unlocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

Samsung A14 is pretty good, it has a large bright screen, good storage and NFC. The performance is so-so, just adequate and its camera is mediocre. Don't buy it in a shop in Ireland, much better deals are online. I have bought this one (128GB, 4G, double SIM): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0C428YM23/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

for €160. This particular model is no longer in stock, but you can find something similar.

Redmi Note 12 is probably a little better alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Cheers for all the posts, looking like the redmi note 12 pro so (I was looking at the standard 12 on Xiaomi.ie)

I did similar trick to get a pixel 7a (well on three and the worker didn't know/want to scroll down and cost me 15 for a month I'll never use) and also did similar with Vodafone for another phone years ago, a great hack

I don't know what way to put it, but let's say if she had her way she'd go into three (who she's with) and hand them silly money because it's "safer" etc

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Depends what coverage is like in your area but would she consider a legit switch to Vodafone? Would save you the 10 euro eir sim and sometimes vodafone store will make you buy 1 month of credit when switching...

Could be worth comparing what she has with Three to a similar Vodafone offer. In my experience Vodafone can be much better value. She can keep her number when switching.

I have said this for Gomo etc even and was told no, she is very old fashioned when it comes too tech etc

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭dedaw

I was in the same boat myself a couple of months ago. Picked up a Samsung A14 from gomibo.ie. I've used them a couple of times without issue. Phones and watches bought from them, no hassle.

Delivery (I think from the Netherlands) within a couple of days.

The phone is grand for all the basics.

"Eligible Customers must top up with €20 or more to activate their Vodafone Pay as you go plan"

SO looks like its 10 for the sim to port, then be charged 20 to buy credit to "use"

Unless go into a shop before starting and play dum and ask

Yeah i have used them before for cases and sd cards so they are grand, be a handy backup if Vodaphone push to buy credit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Have a look on Amazon WH, you can sometimes pick up returned phones there for very good prices

Fair enough. My missus switched to Vodafone when the price was right 😆. Doubt she's heard about Gomo and probably wouldnt want to switch to them either...

Advertisement