Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to the road - gear needed?

Options
  • 20-02-2024 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

So have older but decent enough road bike (just fully serviced etc) and regular enough training on stationary bike (peloton- returned from abroad). 10+ years since on the road and have signed up for the Wicklow 200. I have the bike, shorts, shoes, water bottle(s), spare tube. What other gear do I need for training and the event itself. Socks, jersey with pockets, wind/rain jacket, pump, gps, heart rate monitor, shoe covers? long leggings? Gloves, helmet, sun glasses, would appreciate suggestions on what else and good options either online or in store for purchasing. Thanks I appreciate there are many options and personal choice but thought I’d check in for advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

On this forum, you will get recommended Galibier. Over the next few weeks it will get easier to choose gear as you are hopefully missing the very cold temperatures.

For clothing, a good start would be jersey, gilet, gloves, arm warmers (leg warmers if you are already starting now), rain jacket, overshoes, possibly warmer jacket too.

For accessories, you will need a track pump at home (Lidl do one on sale from time to time which will work), and a minipump on the bike (I wouldn't buy the cheapest one here). A heart-rate monitor can be useful for training etc. but it wouldn't be in the list of things you need to have to get back on the road.

You could also take a look in Decathlon - I would just suggest avoiding their very cheapest ranges

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

small saddlebag with a spare tube, multitool, tyre levers. The WW200 is pretty well supported you won't need to bring the kitchen sink or vast amounts of food with you, but for training spins in the hills, you should have enough with you to ensure you can recover from a mechanical and get home. As the weather warms up I like to have one bottle with something sugary in it (whatever's on offer in the bike shop) and the other with plain water.

Advertisement