Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Gambling winnings taxation

Options
  • 20-02-2024 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

If I bet in an offshore bookmaker, say one that are in Caribbean or somewhere outside of Europe, do I have to pay taxes on the winnings? Or there is no difference between EU/out side of EU in terms of gambling.

If I go to US for example Vegas, play poker and sports bets, win, do I have to pay taxes to Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

No, individuals don't have to pay tax on gambling winning in Ireland, nor are Irish taxpayers liable for tax on winnings won outside of Ireland.

However; if you win a big jackpot or poker prize (for example) in the US, they will ask you to fill out a form to avoid tax (you'll need ID and proof of address) or may indeed deduct it anyway and force you to claim it back after.

More info here: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058075025/taxed-winnings-in-vegas

Advertisement