Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent mobo replacement

Options
  • 19-02-2024 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Need a fast drop-in replacement for a Gigabyte GA-X99M-GAMING 5 mobo. Something with the same or very similar connectors so I can just swap over the CPU, plug everything in and get going again. Hate working on a laptop.

Pretty sure what I have is dead, all I'm getting is MBIOS_LED and BBIOS_LED, no debug codes, nothing. I get a fair number of brownouts here, I'm guessing I had one overnight that was the last straw.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

X99? They're old and not readily available, with the exception of the slightly questionable Chinese substitute ones you can find all over the place. They're often X79 Xeon chipsets re-used/reclaimed. They'd do as a drop in replacement in that regard at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 xPrePF7z4jLy7M

I realise it's old, I'm not looking for a direct replacement, just want to be sure whatever I do put in will Just Work with what I have. Most importantly the MSI AMD R7 370 video card, I have 3 displays. Not really a hardware guy, hoping for a quick simple fix, really don't want to buy a new PC right now. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,064 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

It's off to ebay or adverts.ie then. Or take a chance on one of the cheap no-name Chinese boards. Realistically one should work, but it's not 100%. I'd be more inclined to try another PSU first. If there's power to the board, some basic LEDs should come on, unless it's truly fried beyond even that basic level.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 xPrePF7z4jLy7M

Which boards though? As I said, I'm not a hardware guy. I'm under pressure, looking for something I can find on Amazon and have delivered by Wednesday.

There are lights on the board, I mentioned them in the 1st post, and the video card and m.2 adaptor when connected, which leads me to believe it's the mobo, but I don't have a spare PSU either way. I'll need to buy a spare at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Intel X99 came out 9yrs ago.

Instead of wasting money on a second-hand motherboard, I'd upgrade to a newer platform.

Same price as a used board from eBay, but guaranteed to work and at least 50% faster IPC (i.e. at the same speed, the Ryzens will be much faster).

You can reuse the DDR4 memory from your X99 mobo. R7 370 connects via PCI-Express which is standard.

• Advertisement
Advertisement