Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sell Privately or Trade In?

Options
  • 19-02-2024 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

I bought my first car (a Fiat 500) through a private seller in 2021 for 6.5k.

After a few hiccups (and a few garage bills), she's as good as new now and has been driving perfectly and passing NCTs without issues.

However, I now have a wee baby and it's getting harder to get him in and out of his car seat in the back because I only have two doors.

I'm planning to sell the car and get a used 4-door, like a Clio, Picanto or Audi A1; something smaller for getting around the city but robust enough to travel to see the folks down the country.

However, I'm seeing varying trade-in bonuses mostly totalling to 2K for trading in the Fiat for the new car.

Based on DoneDeal comparisons, I could sell the Fiat for 8k today. I think I should use the 8k to cover the last of my car loan (about 1.5k) and use the leftover as a deposit on a new car and get financing through the dealer.

I think I've answered my question but I'd like to hear your thoughts as I'm completely new to this! Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

What year is the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭JVince

If you see a "trade-in bonus" on offer, that can also be negotiated as a straight discount off the price.

Price yours at €7,500 on DD and haggle the 2k off at the dealer.

Note that as more and more discounts become available on new cars, the 2nd hand values on all cars will go down. The heyday of 2022 & 2023 is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 TripleL

My apologies! My Fiat is a 132 and she has 55K in miles on her.

Thank you so much! Appreciate this. Hopefully, the baby is better at kicking tyres than me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

You will not sell that for €8,000 privately. I’d expect closer to €5,500. Sure theres dealers selling them for less than €8,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Your decision on a new car depends largely on your budget and your preferences regarding monthly payments. If you’re considering another loan, I recommend discussing a PCP (Personal Contract Purchase) option with the dealer. PCPs can be advantageous for those seeking new cars, as they often result in lower monthly fees. Contrary to common misconceptions, PCPs work well for young families who prioritize simplicity—focusing solely on monthly payments—rather than maintaining an older vehicle. While trade-in value is important, selling cars privately can be challenging at the moment. Dealers are motivated to sell you a car that fits your budget, so they’ll guide you through the best options based on your trade-in and affordability.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the advice. I wasn't sure about PCP but you've explained it well. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Consider seling the car at Merlin Car Auctions. Exclusive of fees, you stand a good chance of getting more for it than a garage might offer you trading it in or selling it privately on Done Deal. The Fiat 500 is a popular car and yours is in good condition so should attract bids.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think you should buy a golf/Megane/focus size car, kids won't be long morphing into a bike, their friend and a babysitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭goochy

Sell privately but as said you need to take a couple of grand off the dealer prices . The amount of private cars for sale at dealer prices - people seem to think that dealers must be selling cars at cost and also forget the extra facilities dealers offer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭djan

It is unlikely you'll be able to sell for more than 6k given the current market pricing: Fiat 500 very low mileage for sale in Co. Meath for €6,650 on DoneDeal

As mentioned, consider going for a bigger car at least the size of a Golf or so as the ones you mentioned aren't much bigger than the Fiat apart from rear seat space. Something like this perhaps? 2014 Audi A3 1.4 TFSI AUTO for sale in Co. Dublin for €12,450 on DoneDeal

That's very true! I'm only driving a couple of years myself so I'm still getting used to having the small fella in the back. I love the Golf and my folks are fans of the Focus so I'll give both of them a spin as well

Thank you so much for this. I'll be looking at bigger cars due to advice above. Sure, it won't be long 'til I'll be shipping the young lad and his teammates around the country for matches and birthday parties.

Honestly, I only paid €6,500 for her in 2021. It was the last mechanic who serviced her who said I'd get the €8K if I sold her privately but I'd be delighted with the €6K. He was basing that on a client of his who was getting hers serviced for a sale as well and she got €8K for hers (2014, brighter interior, etc.)

I was hoping to keep her until next year (2025) when my eldest niece is 17 and learning to drive herself. That way, she could take the travel load off her folks for matches, athletics meets, etc., and have her independence with her pals.

She's in brilliant nick and NCT'd until Feb 2025, low mileage, new tyres, freshly serviced, part leather seats, etc., so hopefully, she'll get a happy home somewhere else soon. I'll be sad to see her go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Hooked

A little advice...

I've just sold my van and the wife has ordered a new car. I sold the van privately. She traded the car in, and after shopping around - she got considerably more for the car in the last dealership VS the first one. 6 grand more! Probably losing about 1000 -IF- she had sold privately. I got a good price on my van - but had all the leg work to do - the ad, the meet ups, the tyre kicking and the payment. I then bought myself a cheap runaround (having spent a week with no vehicle) - and went to a garage VS a private sale, as the prices were in and around the same (a lot of stuff on DoneDeal is WAY over priced) - and I got a small warranty! And the car has already been in for work! All covered under the warranty!

My point?

Sometimes it can work in your favour to just be shot of the car - and to not have the hassle of buying privately. If a dealer is giving you, say 5K for a car that you now might make 6, 6500 privately BUT the same dealer has that golf or ford that you want - plus a nice warranty, and peace of mind - then it MIGHT be worth taking the hit on the 1000/1500 'loss'.

Imagine you find the Golf privately - pay a grand or 2 less that @ a garage - and then the injectors go or it needs major clutch/gearbox work - you'll soon regret the few grand you "saved". Plus you'll have to sell and buy in a very short window - to ensure you (and the wee man) are not without a car. And what if the Fiat500 gives the new buyer trouble, and they are back at your door?

A lot of what-ifs, I know...

Just be cautious - as there are a lot more scammers and opportunists out there, that there ever were before! Not everyone is selling a car that's "in brilliant nick and NCT'd until Feb 2025, low mileage, new tyres, freshly serviced, part leather seats, etc." 😜

EDITED to add a recent read (scammers):

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058337127/got-shafted-with-a-used-car

Post edited by Hooked on

Advertisement