Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Evicted

Options
  • 19-02-2024 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi

Me and my housemate received a Notice of Termination just last month. Letting agency says they are going to do significant refurbishment. This came as a shock as I just moved in 2 months ago. My friend has been living in the same apartment for 16years. It's very distressing news knowing that finding another apartment to rent in Dublin is pure torture. Was on to Threshold and still awaiting reply as to the validity of the notice. The notice looked valid tho. What other options do we have apart from declaring ourselves homeless in a few months? We know for sure it's difficult to find another apartment even if we have decent paying jobs. Most apartments are overpriced that it gets impossible to save to buy our own house. Do tenants even have a choice in the midst of all this housing crisis? Seems like tenants are always getting screwed and forced to bite the bullet every time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,683 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If your friend has been there 16 years, they've had a good run. They have to be given 244 days notice - that's 34weeks, ie a bit more than 8 months/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You said on another thread that you were charged an admin fee because the EA told you it was a new lease, did you sign a lease agreement and does it have a fixed term eg 12 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jcadz

I wish the 8 months was enough to find another place. It took me and my other friends almost a year finding a place in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jcadz

The estate agent just edited my name on an old lease (2015). He said he could not make a new one.

Advertisement