Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit Pastilles

Options
  • 18-02-2024 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭

I had a dream last night about Fruit Pastilles. I miss them. Can they be got anywhere?

And before anyone pops up telling me they are available lots of places, I’m talking about the real Rowantrees ones, the ones which you can’t put in your mouth without chewing them.

NOT the vegan friendly muck 😱

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

The last time I bought Fruit Pastilles, I shared them with my dentist who had sent me to the shops, from the dentist chair, to buy them. I was having a dental crown fitted, following root canal treatment and, after filing the crown down a few times, she put it into the alloted space in my mouth to check how good a fit it was. Turns out, it was the most perfect fit, because when she tried to remove it, to apply some dental glue, it wouldn't budge.

After spending far too long trying to coax, cajole and wrench the crown back out, my dentist asked me to go to the shop to get a packet of Fruit Pastilles, in the hope some vigorous chewing would pull the crown out. While we sat there, me chewing sweet after sweet, the dentist said "I quite fancy a Fruit Pastille myself" so, of course, I offered her one. Never thought I'd see the day I would be sharing a packet of sugary sweets with my dentist.

The crown stayed in place the whole time, and for a few years after. Eventually, on a much later visit, the crown finally allowed itself to be taken out, glue was applied and then it was popped back into place.

This was almost ten years ago, so I don't have an up-to-date answer to your question "can they be got anywhere" but the packet I shared with my dentist that day were the real Rowntrees brand and, yes, they did insist on being chewed :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Aren't there only the vegan ones now?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

That’s the problem

who even buys that crap

surely their sales have fallen off a cliff edge

i haven’t bought and won’t buy them ever again after tasting the vegan ones

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Will always vote for the Lemon flavour. Love that sugary crust, mmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Can't say if they're vegan or not (I certainly haven't noticed that on the packaging) but I've seen them in my local newsagents in the roll on the sweet counter, and definitely have seen bags of them in some supermarkets.....

I will agree though that they don't taste anywhere near as good as I remember them from childhood (which is a long time ago!). Very different from the Rowntrees in texture, my absolute favourite pastilles for flavour are the Tesco bag of own brand ones for about 60c - I've had to stop buying them as I just can't stop eating them once the bag is opened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I once lost a filling to win gums. Those things are dangerous. they're like fruit pastiles on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

The aldi fruit pastilles are very like the old-school Rowntrees pastilles, if you want to try that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I would contend that them (and Jelly Tots) really changed for the worse back in the 90's when they stopped using so many additives ("e numbers").

• Registered Users Posts: 4 STartwj

if you go to Amazon and type Fruit Pastilles there will be boxes upon boxes to choose from

• Registered Users Posts: 20,529 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

More likely your taste bud went downhill.

"Your sense of smell and taste change as you age. Between the ages of 40 and 50, the number of taste buds decreases, and the rest begin to shrink, losing mass vital to their operation. After age 60, you may begin to lose the ability to distinguish the taste of sweet, salty, sour, and bitter foods."

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Belladonna44

Vegan sweets are absolutely vile. Percy Pigs are inedible now since they made them all vegan. Sweets tasted so much better in the 80’s. Remember fruit gums? The hard shiny ones. Now they are soft jelly muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,278 ✭✭✭Macy0161

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Interesting that they are all vegan. Recall having to search for veggie Percy pigs in the past. Will save a bit of time next visit to M&S.

You could have been 30 or 40 in 1990 for all I know. Anyway you might be suffering from Golden Age Thinking, which afflicts a lot of Boardsies. Everything was great in the old days, and everything is rubbish now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Just had a handful of Jelly Tots and I'm 10 minutes trying to get them out of my teeth 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do you know the recipe hasnt changed?

Not everything is rubbish now but lots of food products have gone downhill as ingredients are replaced with cheaper options, 'healthier' options, or to be vegetarian or vegan friendly.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭SunnySundays

The Aldi version taste like the original ones.

• Advertisement

It's the yummy Pork Gelatine that is the secret.

Ingredients Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Water, Pork Gelatine, Gelling Agent: Gum Arabic; Maize Starch, Concentrated Fruit Juice (Apple, Blackcurrant, Cherry, Raspberry, Strawberry, Orange, Apricot, Pineapple, Passion Fruit, Lemon, Grapefruit, Banana, Peach, Grape, Pear), Acids: Lactic Acid, Malic Acid, Citric Acid; Colours: Anthocyanins, Curcumin; Flavourings, Plant Extracts (Safflower Concentrate, Spirulina Concentrate, Radish Concentrate, Carrot Concentrate, Blackcurrant Concentrate).

Jelly tots wasn't the only type of tots. Back in the Golden Age, since somebody mentioned it.

There was Tiger Tots, (are round and square!) and Bunny Tots which I think were sort of soft little cubes of fondant like Dolly Mixture.

I don't know any more about them than this, but would put money on them being NOT vegan.

I watched this on BBC 2 recently. I can't remember any reference to vegan jelly beans. 10 million jelly beans a day, that's a lot of jelly beans.

"Gregg Wallace visits a jelly beans factory in Dublin to reveal the astonishing processes used to make ten million of these colourful little sweets every day."

replacing ingredients with alternative options is changing the recipe though

• Registered Users Posts: 27,950 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That was my point. Lots of food products have changed recipes / ingredients mix, almost all for the worse tastewise.

So unless someone knows the recipe mix hasnt changed, bit premature to be blaming aging tastebuds.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I was only looking at youtube last night to see how Fruit Pastilles are pronounced as I was watching one of those Americans react to UK sweets and they were trying to figure out how to pronounce them.

I would have said Fruit Pas-teels but the ads vary from that to Fruit Pastuls

how do you say it?

also I was very surprised that Mars bars aren't a thing in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 23,423 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Dunnes

Pass Teels!

Mars Bars are called Milky Way's in America 🤣

Don't ask me what they call a Milky Way

• Advertisement

Advertisement