Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life After Prison Service Officer/ Retirement age

Options
  • 18-02-2024 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi so I came across a post that stuck out to me in a similar position I joined the prison service a while ago I'm 32 so I won't make the 30 years service unless it goes up but once you hit 55 most retire in the job. That would mean I would have served 23 years , wouldn't get my full pension but would be still pretty good Compared to other careers. I can also pay more onto it over the years so I get the full pension.

Even if I could work 30 years I would be 62 going on 63 retiring. I wouldn't do It I always i plan on retiring around 55 and have something on the side for extra income.

Also another question

( taking from other post)

Basically, even though I'm convinced this is a career for me, something can go wrong. I might get injured, or sick and have to take time off work or work part time which can be done as I know you can work one week on one off or two weeks on two off.

So my question is - how do skills and education gained during work as a prison officer translate into career somewhere else? Are there any particular jobs where beieng an ex prison officer would be an advantage? Is there any careers where ex officers are sought after? Or does it enrich you in experience only, and if you leave, you have to build your CV from scratch again?

I tend to think that once you in, you are in, there is no turning back, Any opinions?

Advertisement