Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amsterdam hotels expensive - worth it to stay outside city?

Options
  • 17-02-2024 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭

Family of four planning to go to NL in July, arriving Tue 09-July.

Want to visit Amsterdam, but open to stay in city / outside city / in nearby city, as long as travelling isn't too bad.

Prices in Amsterdam seem high, e.g.

Ibis (two rooms) = 440 per night!!!!

Mercure = 400 per night

Given these prices, might anybody suggest an alterntive location?

Although I see prices in Utrecht are nearly as high................

Comments

It'd be worth checking out Alkmaar, a great little city in its own right. It's a few years since I was there but from memory the train into Amsterdam was about 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

That's what I did a few years ago as well. I stayed in a small town called Weesp, about 20m from Amsterdam Centraal by train. Weesp itself is small & residential, but there are trains every 10-20m to Centraal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

there seems to be a run of concerts for those dates and Taylor Swift was there days before

ZZ Top – 8 Jul, AFAS Live

Patti Smith – 9/10 Jul, Paradiso

P!NK – 10/11 Jul, Johan Cruijff ArenA

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Harleem is a nice place, only about 15-20 mins on the train to amsterdam central.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

When travelling over for the dutch grand prix in August the accom costs were insane so we stayed in a little town called Almere, it was 20-25 mins to amsterdam for the train and we were able to get from Schipol to Almere direct as well.

its like staying in a shopping centre and there was plenty on down around the seafront nice parks walking etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The cost of hotels in Amsterdam is always shocking, and if you find a reasonable one, chances are its terrible with a stairs you need climbing equipment for!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I second Haarlem. If you've the time go to Leiden also it's twenty minutes by train from Haarlem. Both great spots in their own right. A day in Ams is enough IMV, or one overnight if you're into the nightlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Haarlem. Another vote. Bus and train station. Easy access to other parts of the Netherlands. Bus from airport number 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭BolloxChop

I stayed in Tribe Hotel Amsterdam a few years ago when I drove there from Limerick. Class hotel and right beside the metro into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I stayed in Van Der Valk hotel in Amsterdam a couple of years ago, it's just outside the city centre and has an amazing spa area that is free. It was reasonably priced and beside a metro station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭raclle

Thinking of going solo in the next few months but the prices are ridiculous. You're looking at between €700-800 for two nights and nearly a grand for three in decent accommodation in and around dam square.

Found this place outside the city centre:

https://westcordhotels.com/hotel/fashion-hotel-amsterdam/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

Hotels in Amsterdam are cheapest in January. I stayed in the Mercure Amsterdam North Station (5 minutes from the centre by metro) for €115 per night with breakfast in January. Accor had a 25% off winter sale. That was a Friday and Saturday night stay, it was cheaper again Sunday to Thursday.

I stayed at the Van Der Valk Amstel Hotel which was a bit out of the city centre but only a few stops on the Metro. It had a really great spa that was free to use too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭raclle

Hotel looks great. Who did you book that with?

My mate booked it, so I don't know

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

Going over next weekend. Haven't been in over 7 years. Was very suprised at the costs of the hotels, even hostels I stayed in before are a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Kurooi

Rotterdam is just a quick train ride to Amsterdam and is in my opinion, a better place to stay. All the lovely food and drinks with a lot less party tourism. I wouldn't stay in Amsterdam with a family, see it for sure but not stay.

Advertisement