Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch police start testing for illegal ebikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yeap saw that.. If the Gardai started doing that it would wipe out all the Deliveroo food delivery services overnight!

But definitely won't happen here, the Gards don't stop Electric Scramblers on the streets so that's that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

If they won't stop actual illegal scramblers driving down O'Connell St then they won't do anything about this.

Yeap, that's what I said...

Electric scramblers are everywhere around the city centre and the estates outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

The guards do an excellent job-after shifting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I was talking about the loud petrol ones as well.

• Advertisement

The fake canada goose gangs seem to have replaced the petrol ones with the electric cos they are silent...

apart from that, loads of those fat tyred throttle assist bikes flying around at 50kph

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

GardaÍ dont even enforce lights on bikes. For cars, pulling for blown bulbs or illegal reg plates is very rare.

Fair play to NL for being proactive in policing ebikes. As always, we are going to be years behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

This has been happening for a while in places like Germany too. Badly needed as you see some things on the road that look like death traps.

I see it is a bigger issue in NL with scooters. We were on a fast part of a group ride doing 40kmh+ last summer and were overtaken by a stand up scooter who must have been doing over 60. I've also been passed in the car by one in a 50kmh zone

(along with enforcing all other traffic laws especially phone use while driving)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,420 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Gardai don't enforce anything whatsoever on Irish roads from what I can see. Unless they are on a specific mission like a speed camera or tax roadblock they are either absent or ignore what they see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I never thought I would see the day I would recommend anything from a US Police force but one of the major gripes of AGS members is the paperwork for the smallest of things. In the US, the cop pulls you over, runs your license and plates, hands you a ticket. That's it. Over here they have to write up a report for the most basic of traffic offences. You would kill two birds with one stone, improve morale, increase enforcement, all in one go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Which in turn would eliminate €1 and hour abuse of labour employers which in turn would make the fat bastard's ordering pizza at 4am less fat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

It's not rocket science but our force or Dept of Justice appear not to have done a lean or six sigma analysis of their most basic processes. Still pursuing/lumbered with manual everything.

It was highlighted after the Dublin riots that all photos and video had to be reviewed by hand, and Comm. Harris said this was a totally antiquated and would take months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Paddigol

The time for doing this - as I've been banging on about for long enough - was about 5 years ago when it was clear they were going to be a big part of our future. By doing nothing - esp. on the legislative side of things - for so long, the State have almost created a legitimate expectation (I know, I know... criminal law et. etc.) among users of eBikes/ eScooters.

And then you have the point Cram raises - what's the point in bringing in laws that you can't enforce. And you can't enforce them because you don't pay the people tasked with enforcing them enough money. Or you don't employ enough people to enforce them. And you don't enforce with any consistency.

You reap what you sow, as the saying goes. And our roads system is evidence of that.

Advertisement