Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

100k round trip commute - What car to buy?

Options
  • 17-02-2024 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭

As the title says, driving 100k round trip to work - N7/M50/N11, traffic can be pretty bad.

Looking at the second hand market, max budget of 25k, Fuel economy is a priority.

So far I'm just looking at diesel. Should I be looking at hybrid? or electric?

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭User1998

If home or work charging is available then electric would definitely suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

You deffo need access to home or work charging if thinking of going electric, charging using the public network for all your needs would be too expensive and most prob get to be a complete pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭_H80_GHT

I do 80km daily in an IS300H. Very comfortable. 50mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

*MOD edit*

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Do you..

1. Have a driveway?

2. Have a decent night rate electricity plan? Or are willing to shop around and take advantage of one.

3. Have a second car in the house?

1 and 2 could be moot if your job has onsite charging.

3 is just for peace of mind if you're that way inclined.

If yes to all 3 I wouldn't consider anything except electric if economy is a high priority for you IMO. The right combo of car and tarrif would easily put your running costs at less than €10 a week.

Your budget would easily get you into a decent range/spec car.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Advertisement
Advertisement