Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay AIB kafkaesque, or is it me?

Options
  • 16-02-2024 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Tried to set up an Ebay account today. A new one as my UK account ties back to a mobile I no longer have.

I didn't realise it but my VPN was on and set to Canada which was the fastest Torrent download route when I last configured the VPN

Now I am blocked and an attempt to open another account without the VPN was also blocked.

Inquiries are met with a standard barred permanently message and a phone call let to an automated reply service saying the same thing.

I assume it was my use of a Canadian IP to set up an Irish account anyway, but this seems weird, VPN's are common now and used for switching TV streams from country to country.

Oh well I guess I have lost nothing anyway, I managed a few years without Ebay and there are plenty of other outlets for Chinese garbage.

Anyone had probs with AIB?

They cant verify my mobile sim it seems, they sent me back to my mobile provider and of course after a reboot of the phone after a sim update things are no different.

It takes up to 12 or 24 hours to be verified I'm told. Now is that an indication of IT incompetence I wonder, as a wait of up to 12 or up to 24 hours translated to something compatible with common sense is "a wait of up to 48 hours".

So after numerous calls to AIB and leaving the phone in a good signal area since Monday, I am still unable to get my SIM verified or get AIB to tell me what information is failing to be passed between them and my SIM provider to prevent verification.

Has anyone experience of these two security problems and maybe advice on a remedy?

I suppose cash in a registered envelope is the logical conclusion to all this security, but even cash is scanned in some shops these days I notice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I'm not with AIB nor ever worked for them so bear with me.

When you say they can't verify your SIM, can you describe the steps you are taking and quote any error messages you are getting?

Many banks have moved from sending text messages to Push notifications. Can you check and ensure that you have notifications turned on for the AIB App.

Any time an app is not fully functioning for me, the first thing I do is update the app. Or if you can't find the setting for notifications, uninstall the app and then reinstall it, when prompted for permission to allow notifications, tap Allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

About twelve months back I set a password on their Web interface. I have no smartphone and don't want one as the phone signal is abysmal. I have to hike down the field some days to get a signal.

I get "Error PV102, SIM not verified" and have been getting the same error for over a year,

After dozens of calls to AIB, all of them resulting in the information it's another department we will get back, they told me yesterday I was on the wrong network.

I pointed out that I have access to two or three networks and I have not had a totally unique one supplied by a third party.

They now seem to think my SIM provider is not communicating and have urged me to contact them again. This is the second time, I'm not sure if you deal with network providers, but the chances of explaining a problem with communications that you know nothing about is pretty remote.

They did a SIM refresh and I followed this with a reboot the first time they asked and as expected there is no difference "Error PV102". AIB gave me details of the communications company they use, which struck me as being a more useful approach as they would surely know what data is defining my SIM/ phone combination insecure, but I am still awaiting a reply from Phonovations helpdesk.

Phonovation pointed out it wasn't their company handling AIB text/ security procedures any more, but gave me their technical helpdesk email on the offchance they could help me out.

Advertisement