Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting - what did I do wrong

Options
  • 16-02-2024 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭

Hi

What did I do wrong? The corners of a room I’ve painted yesterday have started to crack.

I can’t tell you how much prep I put in - sanding, sanding, sanding. I didn’t sand in between each coat. 4 coats - 2 under 2 over.

The only thing I can think is that I put it on too thick and didn’t sand between coats. I’m so disappointed.

Any fix - a quick sand and light coat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

If it's just the corners I would run some fillers down the corners with my finger, wait until it dries, sand lightly and re paint. Can't guarantee it will work as I'm not sure the reasons it cracking but I've done this before myself and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Is it the new paint that has cracked or is the problem the taped corner joints on plaster board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭sniperman

probably put on too thick and not enough time between coats dry fully,overnight ideally,quick fix is caulk and gun,then light touch up,allow caulk to dry fully,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

Thanks lads.

I think you’re right. I usually leave it a day to fully dry (I like to take my time) but I’ve so much to do on the room I thought I’d get the second coat on. It had 4 hours dry time but the corners were heavier.

There’s a good bit of cracking around the caulking around the windowsill. Says is paintable in a few hours but it was still a bit pliable today - not impressed with that. So it shrunk then cracked the paint that over laid it.

All my time and efforts gone to pat!!!

I’ve a bit more time now - so no quick fix needed. Should I scrape it, sand it and repaint it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

@karlitob a room I’ve painted yesterday have started to crack ... 4 coats - 2 under 2 over.

4 coats in a single day? That sounds like way too much and too often, especially at this time of the year. If you had the room heated to encourage faster drying, that'd certainly contribute to the risk of cracking.

I have a series of painting jobs on the go at the moment (woodwork rather than walls) and I'm allowing 24-48 hours between each "6 hour" coat, otherwise I'd face problems. It's taking forever to get the job done, but waiting for each coat to be properly dry is as important as all the pre-painting prep work.

FWIW, I've never in my life sanded walls or ceilings once the primer goes on, no matter how many coats I'd apply - but if you've got cracks now, you'll have no choice but to do it at least once more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭karlitob

Ha. No. Day1 - undercoat; day 2-sand, undercoat; day 3 - AM topcoat; planned on day 4 top coat but since I finished at 12 I started at 4. It’s a small room.

Yeah - I’m annoyed at myself. I’m swapping out the radiator and have to drain the system (too large to fit Ikea furniture); I want to add an electrical cable under the floor; I’m putting some insulation under the floor; and laying the carpet. Not to mention putting together the Ikea furniture.

I rushed it.

Advertisement