Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query on Jury Summons

Options
  • 16-02-2024 11:31am
    Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just a query on Jury Summons.

Whats the situation regarding contract workers and payment. I'm working as a contractor and I don't get paid while I'm on leave so how does it work with a Jury Summons. Am I'm entitled to get payed by the company contracting me or does it entitle me to be excused?

Anyone know?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Neither, as a contractor you're self employed so you're expected to cover your own payment for the length of the service.

You won't be excused.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Well that sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Just make an excuse. simple as!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

If you're self employed you can request to be excused.

See the courts website for the info you'd need to provide:

https://courts.ie/jury-service-information-exemption

• Registered Users Posts: 5,120 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Especially if there will be financial hardship for you it’s likely you’ll be excused - best thing is read the form you received and return it outlining your reason to be excused on this occasion. self employed is not an excuse in itself but other factors are taken into account.

Be as clear as possible - state your support for the jury service - recognise that it is a duty you’re willing to commit to but on this occasion due to financial hardship you’d like to be excused until you see better days from a financial perspective

Honestly the court service don’t want reluctant jurors -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Got summonsed last month. Got out of it again. Honestly do you want to do it?

If not read it carefully. There are loads of excuses not to do it. Easiest is to get a doctors note saying you are under the weather (depression). Outline ADHD, wasnt asked for diagnosis.

Some people would love a few days away from the mundane. Its not my thing for doing public service. This is by no means a done deal and there are many ways out of it. Its you ring the clerks office fill out a form and you are excused.

Have seen it they must call about 300 people hoping to get a pool of 60 viable jurors.

Advertisement