Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU & Environs

Options
  • 16-02-2024 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭

I have to drop my child to DCU tomorrow (coming from down the country) morning for a 2 1/2 hour course that she's doing...I'd like to get a run in to pass the time, 15km or so.

Wondering about showers, I sweat A LOT, not pleasant for fellow passengers on the drive home. Any ideas as to availability of facilities at DCU?

Also, recommendations for nice running routes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Dont know about showers.

In terms of running -

Albert College is right beside DCU - a straight lap of that is about a mile.

If you dont mind running on footpath you could head down Griffith Avenue to the coast road and across the wooden bridge to monument in Dollymount (google it) - from DCU Entrance to the monument and back would be around ten miles.

Sorry for using old money!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

There is a gym on campus, however I have no idea of opening times or if you can just walk in off the street.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,349 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's about €7 or €8 into the council operated gym in ballymun - not much more than a 1km walk from DCU.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Not sure about the showers in DCU, you could give them a ring and ask if you can use them but typically I don't think they do a Pay as You Go model, as Magicbastarder says Ballymun gym is a good option, I've used it loads over the years and it's very functional, pool is great too.

Another option for your run can be to head in the other direction towards Ashtown and Blanch, here is a strava route, you can add or take away from the turnaround on the canal to suit your distance/time needs

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Regarding the showers, take a look here: https://www.dcu.ie/travel-to-dcu/active

The Albert College extension is attached to the old, stone building that faces Albert College Park. Showers are signposted in there but you can wander in and have a look to familiarise yourself before you start your run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It's a few years since I worked in DCU, but if you go can find the 1838 Club (a staff/postgrad restaurant on the ground floor of the Albert College building, there used to be showers in the toilets there - definitely in the Men's, not sure about the Women's.

[Edit - I notice Sandwell's link suggests they are still available all day]

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Formosa

Thanks everyone, I was directed to the Albert College Building, as detailed above...unfortunately it was all locked up (Saturday morning)...anyway, I nipped up to the Council Centre in Ballymun and that was great.

Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement