Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Glow plugs on Honda civic

Options
  • 16-02-2024 12:29am

Need some new glow plugs. Not sure how many have not checked yet.

Is it as easy as it looks? or should I just let mechanic handle it? Not sure of potential savings tbh.

As well as buying the part, I’d also need a multimeter to check them and the torque wrench. Just not sure with that cost included if it’s worth doing myself or I’m more likely to spend more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Might depend where they are situated on car and how easy to do , Any Youtube videos on your model up there?

Most mechanics will replace the whole set after testing them

We used a circuit tester long lead and a probe and the crocodile clip went onto + of battery and touch each tip in turn with the probe. No circuit duff glow plug. You will also need to know if they are getting powered

They definitely work to some extent anyway. So not completely all gone I don’t think.

It is pretty easy. From YouTube just take off engine cover, glow plugs unplug then they are taken out with socket wrench.

Reverse process but they are then torqued to I think 18nm (might have got that way wrong), but I don’t have that tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I never had a small enough torque wrench but would not swing out of them to tighten as over the years you knew you were tightening them up and not over tightening them. The difference is using a 3/8 ratchet/ j bar or 1/2 inch and would easily round them off.

One thing with Asian cars is making them handy and matching like for likes if needing voltage and plug reference to match.

Advertisement