Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3-way floor standing speakers wiring/setup

Options
  • 16-02-2024 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭

I've just been given 2 x tall floor standing speakers. I'd say they are 30+ years old. I think they're called 3-way speakers, each has 2 x black and red connectors for speaker wire on the back.

I've a modern amp that I'm using for 5.1 cinema. There's also an optional zone 2 that can power a pair of speakers. So my plan is to use zone 2 for the 2 new (to me) speakers. And to use the wiring for the back left and back right from the 5.1 system to power the speakers, so the current system becomes a 3.1 system.

I hope this all makes sense.

What I don'tunderstand, with admittedly only brief research, is how can I (or can I) make use of the speakers when I only have standard speaker wire, ie one red and black wire to each speaker feeding something that takes 2 x red and black.

I'm happy to split each red and black into two. But maybe that is just totally dumb. And maybe the amp zone 2 won't power these speakers anyway, I'd have to look at the manual to read up on settings etc. Something tells me that there will be less config available for zone 2 than zone 1.

I'd appreciate any helpful pointers or comments that might help point me in the right direction for how to make use of the speakers., thanks. Am I barking up the wrong tree thinking I can use existing wiring? Do I need a different amp? Ideally I'd plug a turntable into my amp and play records or Spotify via my amp into the 2 speakers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Latest thinking. Use existing speaker wire to each speaker, connect to one pair of the red and black, use a short wire to connect the 2nd red/black on each speaker. The amp can't spit out high/low frequencies, so bi amping not an option.

Advertisement