Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ending a Part 4 Tenancy at end of 6th year

Options
  • 15-02-2024 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I have tenants in a house for just over 5 years. Does anyone know if I have to give the full 180 days notice at the end of the Part 4 period (6 years) or specifically 180 days before the 6 years are up? Also do I have to state the reason for the tenancy ending? It says 'any reason', but does the notice have to state the reason? I'm unclear on this from the RTB website and from the Citizens Information website which states:

Landlords’ right to end certain tenancies after 6 years

If your tenancy was created before 11 June 2022, your landlord can terminate your tenancy for any reason when you have rented for 6 years. The landlord must:

• Serve a notice of termination before the end of the 6 years, and
    • Give a notice period that expires on or after the end of the tenancy

If the tenancy is not ended after 6 years, a new tenancy will begin. This new tenancy will be a tenancy of unlimited duration and the above exception will no longer apply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Seems fairly clear. Make sure you give the correct notice period, make sure the notice is valid and states the reason for termination is the end of a part 4 tenancy, have final day of notice period correspond to final day of 6 yr term.

Advertisement