Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlete funding

Options
  • 15-02-2024 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭

So the current funding has been announced for athletics. From my (bad) memory these amounts have been in place for a long number of years, is it time that the amounts be raised in line with current inflation.?

What are peoples thoughts.?

Should Griggs have got on the list.? Or anyone else for that matter warrant inclusion?

I know there is a criteria set out, and individual athletes have to meet that in order to qualify.

Just a bit of though provoking for the day 😀

Post edited by Ceepo on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Duanington

One marathoner on the list ? Our marathoners are in a funny place at the moment, it looked like there were a whole gang of them on the verge of making breakthroughs to the next level a couple of years back but that seems to have dried up or at least be on hold.

The amounts definitely look a little paltry compared to how they looked a few years back, I know some other sports have already adjusted their funding to allow for inflation etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If thats the funding that these athletes get from Government, I assume everything else has to be covered by sponsorship or personal fundraising then?

Travel costs going to various meets and races must be substantial, hard to know how any world class athlete could afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

You could say same for Womens 800metres.

As for Griggs - I guess if you ignore his age and look at form alone - its probably marginal. Does being young count for something here? Could make same argument for Sophie O'Sullivan probably.

I'm surprised Mark English is Podium and ranked same as Mageean and Adeleke. TBH these two are very clearly out on their own, as far as Irish athletes go. After that, Coscoran & Lavin are probably the ones I would see as contenders for olympic finals.

Delighted to see Efrem Gidey here, I see him out running all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

O'Sullivan is indeed there, at the very bottom. As is Sharlene Mawdsley.

Surprised at English getting top dollar. I guess a European medal is enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I'm not quite up to date with the current criteria, but at one stage it was, top 8 at Euro and top 16 at World's. I also think that if you received it, it would be for 2 year's.

The double ** on the list have met the criteria in the current year.

Has O Sullivan done something that Griggs hasn't. Genuine question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Wottle

Maybe Scullion, you'd think he'd qualify as at least international.

I also think English is very fortunate to be getting the top money. I'm a big fan but is he really still a podium contenter?

Has Scullion done anything in the oadt 12/18 months to warrant funding.

His Dublin Marathon was a solid run and given his pedigree/potential, surely the "international" money would be warranted.

I don't know the qualification criteria but if Hiko is on the list, surely Scullion should.

I'm also a big fan of Hiko but not sure he had the best 2023.

Hiko has a 27.53 10000m and a 62 half in the past 18 months.

While Scullion 2.09 and 62 half were fantastic it was back in 2020. His 2.11 in Dublin while been a solid run is probably isn't good enough for inclusion.

Would you say Hiko has a better chance of qualifying over Scullion for Paris Olympic marathon? His debut 2'15.

Assume he won't target the 27'00 10k standard

• Advertisement

27.00 is a very tough target - do they have to hit that to qualify?

OK so - O'Sullivan won world u23s last year. Mawdsley deserves to be there defo in my view.

As for Griggs - I suppose a very obvious question would be whether he;d have been funded through the UK system. He is outstanding and does appear to go about things the right way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Yeah the marathon scene is a bit in limbo at the moment. Seaward, Pollock, Armstrong all dealing with injuries over the last 18 months. They would have all hoped to crack 2:10 and maybe get in via the rankings, but even that is looking increasingly difficult. Sean Tobin hasn't been able to make it to a marathon start line. Ryan Creech, Hiko Tonosa do they have a sub 2:10 time in them?Scullion is probably the best bet, but nothing ever seems to go straightforward with him. Fearghal Curtain is running Seville this weekend and seems to be targeting the automatic qualifying time, and Irish Record. He's coming off a 61min HM in Houston, so he could really enter the picture in a dramatic way.

Overall - strongest athletics team we have had for several years for an olympics?

Up to maybe 5 athletes capable of making an olympic final?

Very tough, I think ranking points come into it also.

If on twitter, Elizabeth Egan is a must follow. She keeps a google sheet of how the Irish are doing in their pursuit of qualifying for Paris, and where they're competing each week.

Post edited by Wottle on

Wow, thats a serious piece of work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Who are the 5 you have in mind?

Mageean and Adeleke for sure.

Sarah Lavin, Sarah Healy, Andrew Coscoran?

Mixed 4x400m and possibly the women's 4x400m.

Who else? Mark English and very outside bets would be Brian Fay and Sharlene Mawdsley.

Yeah those three.

Not sure where Thomas Barr is at, but he is clearly potentially good enough to make a final.

It would be amazing to have two Irish runners in womens 1500m final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Of course. I forgot Thomas Barr. He’s in good early season form. Ran a 46.8x last week indoors. It’s one of his fastest indoor times ever. Promising start to the year for sure.

He’s definitely a potential finalist and would also hugely strengthen the mixed 4x400m squad.

Post edited by Hamachi on

I was chatting to one of the DTC lads and he wasn't sure of Hiko's plan's.

I can't see him running 27.00 so I'd imagine it will have to be through the points system. The reason I think he was funded was because of his European champ participation,.could be wrong one this one though. One reason why this may not be the reason is that Griggs went to the world championship and isn't funded. Junior titles mean very little really for funding purposes.

I'm not sure an u23 title is enough to be funded either for Sophie. But who knows 🤷‍♂️.

No Nadia Power OR Michelle Finn on the list either.

Maybe the above will get a few bid from AI, if they didn't get it from Sports Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭formerrunner25

Strange one for Nick missing out, considering Sophie made the cut.

I think Adeleke, Coscoran, Mageean and Healy and a relay are our best bet for Olympic finals.

English, Lavin, Barr are probably outsiders

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭omicron

The sport Ireland carding system only applies to athletes aged at least 20 so Griggs isn't eligible.

They have a separate emerging talent funding program for athletes aged 16-19.

All the details here.

Thanks for the clarification. I was aware of the development / emerging talent grant.

Guess he'll have to wait a grow first 🤣

Thanks for the clarification. I was aware of the development / emerging talent grant.

Guess he'll have to wait a grow first 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hike ran a slower marathon than scullion last year.

That may well be the case, but it not really relevant as none of their times were championship qualifier times. And I don't doubt that Scullion is a better marathon runner than Hiko, just that his window for a grant is probably closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

True. Scullion also very hot and cold, dublin time came with work he did in font, now back training at home so have to see the quality and result

Looks like the wheels came off pretty badly for Curtain, pity - he's got time on his side though.

Do the others have a sub 2.10? Who knows really, its almost like a change in sport when people step up to the marathon, nothing seems to add up very well at the moment. And as you say, with SS - nothing seems to go to plan, sometimes there is no plan !

Yeah the marathon is a different beast although, some never really make the transition.

I'm not sure how much time Curtain has really. Obviously if it wasn't going to plan, he made the right decision to pull out, at least this will reduce the recovery time. Am I right in thinking that London is nearly the last chance. I'm basing that on, if an athlete doesn't get the auto QT, there are higher points on offer and usually the field is not as stacked outside of the top marquee names, so a 2.12 will usually see a higher finished position.

• Advertisement

Yeah, sorry - I more meant that he's a young man etc etc

Advertisement