Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC Door - Repair small crack on outside - repair with Tech 7 ?

Options
  • 14-02-2024 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭

Am I right in thinking a similar coloured Tech 7 would do the job? I can get the nozze carefully underneat it, there is some give

darkest brown Tech 7 Will do ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, that filler might mask the gap, but to my mind it appears to possibly be an expansion crack or stress fracture of some type, so the filler is likely to delaminate and either fall out or come loose over time. You might try use some super-glue and see if you can get it to sit flat first and limit any movement, that might help the filler to bond better. 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

Thanks for the info.

It's a cheap door probably 20 years + old.

Unfortunately it's a dark colour and is southerly facing so it gets baked by the sun.

I was in Brooks and surprised to find a dark brown Tech7. Perfect colour. It's is elastic to 350 and good to 90 degrees. I'm going to risk it ...

If it doesn't work out I might cover that area with a house door number ;-) Just thought of that now

Will post back how I get on

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The sun explains it. Tec7 filler or adhesive? If it's a filler then I'd definitely do a spot of super-gluing beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭embracingLife

Does it say on the tube of Tec7 that its suitable for Pvc? If not use Low Modulus silicone, it's not easily available but builders providers would stock it.

Hi,

Tech 7 site says ...

1. Tec7 Sealant can be used with most building materials including PVC and replaces most other plastic glues

I will do a spot test. It is my own door so if it isn't a 100% job it's OK.

If it doesn't work right I will get a price of backing board and the house number on it to cover the crack

To date every problem I've had in life has been solved with Tech7 money or Duct tape ! I've great faith in Tech 7

• Advertisement

Update ...

Used Tech 7 brown

Im happy with the repair. Its wont win any awards but good enough.

Used a wooden skewer to let me get the nozzle in

End result. Looks good from a distance and if you need glasses LOL

Advertisement