Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on TV/BB combo

Options
  • 14-02-2024 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Out of contract with vodafone fibre and have TV via Virgin cable - looking to get a deal to combo into one. This has been the way for a while so slowly learning that things are not as I had assumed in the market.

Eir - don't seem to have 1G fibre in my area, Galway city - store said they did until guy told me they don't use SIRO, house had copper cable issues so thats them out for me. sadly their TV box is perfect for me.

Vodafone - with them, can renew, only to find out the TV can't record pretty much anything, after the guy in the shop told me it could.

Sky - All fine, asked the guy does it get BBC news, he search and asked for help and told me, ya comes on at 2am on BBC1 ( I want the 24hr news channel ) seems it isn't on sky ? Also can't record

Virgin - no shops so need to do my own research, are they even Fibre/SIRO ?

Overall, people in the shops are worse than clueless, so annoying. Kinda have to change as my monthly is too high, but seriously makes me angry that I am losing the ability to record BBC all cause of 'cloud' recording and rights. Partly venting, partly asking does anyone have any advice?

Hate to lose a feature I have but admittedly rarely use, recording - but when I want it, its there. Otherwise want a simple bill that's ok value.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Gary_dunne

I am nearly 100% sure that there is BBC News 24 on Sky, I'll double check when I am home though. I've been using their combo TV (Sky Stream) and Broadband since September with no issues.

There's no dish required, the little box streams through the wi-fi and I'm able to record individual shows with it too, you won't be able to record BBC News constantly as you've stated but I don't see that as being a major issue, the news is on 24/7 so you'll be able to catch up fairly easily anytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

More recording of BBC1/2 that I am interested in.

If you can check that would be great thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

BBC News is not on the Sky EPG (apart from simulcasts on BBC One/Two).

On Sky satellite (Sky Q) you can add it via Manual Tuning, you cannot do this on the newer Sky Stream platform.

If you want full unrestricted recording your options are simple - Sky Q (not Stream) or Virgin’s TV360 (again not Streaming Box), the latter of which by the sounds of it is what you currently have (in which case maybe their broadband should be your option?) You should still be able to order Sky Q at this point no matter where you live but you may have to look for it on the website.

Next choice after them would be eir which can record most stuff other than Irish channels and does have the BBC News channel but you’ve already ruled it out for non-TV related reasons.

Advertisement