Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Companies who offer paid mat leave with no minimum service

Options
  • 14-02-2024 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all

Hoping for support and guidance. I'm currently drowning in stress in my job whilst also trying to get pregnant

I know myself that one of the blockers to me getting pregnant is my work stress and I need to leave my role

But financially I would like to know my options re paid mat leave. I think most companies have a minimum x years of service before they supplement mat leave pay.

Could I ask for any examples of companies that do not have that minimum requirement? I think flutter is one.

Or could you share your company's current policy ? So I know those that don't offer it?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭sonyvision

What is your background? There is some great companies, mine is insurance and offers 6 months full paid mat/paternity even to men. Only condiction is you must be perm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 md2024

It's accounting, I'm in a senior role in a finance team. Here about ten years time but company has changed significantly the last eighteen months and unfortunately not for the better

@sonyvision is there a minimum period you need to be employed before you get that paid mat leave

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You’re probably looking at 12 months and being off probation before you can exploit their employee benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭dunworth1

could you not go to your GP and explain and get certified out on stress until your maternity leave starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

You could land from the frying pan into the fire. If you secure a role in a new company and are pregnant or become pregnant shortly afterwards - despite all the legislation and protection women have it could well go against you. I am not saying I agree with this but that is the reality. I am female and long serving in my role and I have come back from maternity leave to another employee (male) with their feet nicely under my desk on more than one occasion. My boss would be very adamant that he would never want to hire an employee based on the company's maternity policy.

I think company's like flutter get 'their pound of flesh'; could you address the issues you have in your current work environment - the devil you know and all that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Previously it was 12 months for mat leave but my impression is that is changed since the paternity policy is a day 1 right.

In theory, I can start in my company (I'm male) on 1 Jan, wife has a baby 1 Feb and I can take 6 months paid.

Just checked my policy, no lenght of service is specified. My company is an outlier, they really do look after people and do whatever they can to make your worklife balance better. I'm taking a half day as my wife is having surgery, I'm taken a half day and it's not counted as annual leave.

Feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Paternity policy is a day 1 right to statutory pay; the company is under no obligation to top up even by a small amount. Same way statutory maternity is an automatic right; so OP could interview for a job at e.g. 35 weeks, get the job and start immediately (for e.g.) and take maternity leave from 38 weeks - the company does not need to pay her anything above statutory but has to guarantee her job back at the end of the maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 md2024

Thanks all

Yeah, so the companies I'm looking for are those that top up maternity leave stat entitlement without looking for a minimum service. Pretty sure flutter do and suspect some tech companies do but I've no specific company names other than flutter

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭suilegorma

Thinking about it, even if you get pregnant straight away you serve 8.5 months before leave. Based on my experience most companies have a 1 year waiting period. So at worst that is what you are facing, holding off for maybe 3 months. So broaden your search outside of companies with no minimum. And as you get more senior companies view the long term picture so going on leave is not the worst in the world. Best of luck on both fronts !

Advertisement