Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timing of a Notice of Rent Review

Options
  • 13-02-2024 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi all.

I have a property in an RPZ that is rented out - now in the third year of rental to the same tenants.

I live abroad, so I have appointed an agent to manage the property on my behalf.

The last Notice of Rent Review was issued 12 months ago, with the rental increase taking effect three months later.

I now want to issue another Notice of Rent Review. My reading of the legislation (pedant that I am!) and the RTB's website is that I can issue a Notice of Rent Review 12 months after the previous Notice of Rent Review, and therefore the new rent will take effect 12 months after the previous rent increase - i.e. I can raise the rent every 12 months.

The agent is saying that that the Notice of Rent Review can't be issued until the 12 month anniversary of the last rent increase (not the last Notice of Rent Review), and that the new rent increase will take effect three months later - in effect that I can only raise the rent every 15 months. The agent said that she rang the RTB and this is what they told her.

I can't fathom this - what am I missing here?

(BTW, I do understand that the interval between the commencement of a letting and the issue of the first Notice of Rent Review is 12 months, that the rent increase takes effect 3 months later, and that therefore the interval between the commencement of a letting and the date on which the first rent increase can take effect is 15 months - but thereafter it is 12 months)

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Not an expert by any means but in my last apartment they sent the annual rent review every July for the increase in October every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Firblog

From RTB website

"How Often Can I Carry out a Rent Review in a RPZ?

Frequency – once very 12 months

Rent in a RPZ can only be reviewed once every 12 months."

Your take on the rent review process is much more logical than your agents, just tell them to do it every 12 months, then increase the rent every 12 months as per the rules; if they don't want to do it that way thank them for their service and find an agent who will.

Advertisement