Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for France by ferry 2024

Options
  • 12-02-2024 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭

Hi all

The wife me and the dog are thinking of taking the car to France for 10 - 14 days June, July or August on the ferry, we are half hour from Rosslare but don’t mind going from Cork.

We would probably book an apartment or Villa, Air B & B but open to suggestions.

So what area would be good to visit to do a bit of walking maybe near a National Park we enjoyed Picos de Europa in Northern Spain last year.

I heard the Vendee is nice but would welcome all suggestions such as Brittany or Normandy etc. Not bothered about going to Paris or the South of France

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭_ptashek_

Can't go wrong with Normandy, great food, plenty of things to see. A bit further afield - Charente-Maritime. Generally the entire west coast down to Bordeaux is great, especially in summer. But brace for insane heat in July / August. I've seen over 40*C in shade there more than once...

Paris is overpriced, overrated, dirty, smelly and not worth the hassle.

EDIT: Going South past Nantes, there's plenty of national parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭markest

Was in Charente a while ago, lovely area. Just found this near to where we stayed, looks promising https://maps.app.goo.gl/WSqfLYAywD6c3akV9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

There is an excellent thread on camping in france already on this site that you should look for. In my opinion you dont have to go too far for a great time. Check out the following

Normandy beaches,

Mont St Michel

Nantes elephant

WW2 Submarine pens

Domain des Ormes campsite

Puy du Fou - a very unique experience

Le Mons old town

Be aware that it is very hard to get restaurant food in France aside from between 12 and 2 and 6 and 8. In some of the bigger towns or really touristy places you will get kebab places etc. but even they close early. Plan well or you will be stuck looking for a McDonalds or a pizza vending machine !!!. Also most supermarkets close on Sunday.

Advertisement