Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offset losses on shares against profits on funds?

Options
  • 12-02-2024 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

As I type this I think I can guess the answer, but anyway....

I am selling two managed funds which have accumulated a profit over the last number of years. I will be liable for 41% tax on the profits, as I understand it. Funds are managed by a financial services firm.

I also have various shares sitting in a consumer trading account. One block of shares is a dead duck, significant loss which I doubt will ever recover. I was thinking this year would be a good time to sell and realize the loss so that I could offset against the profits from the funds.

But I am guessing that the losses on shares can only be offset against profits on shares? or can you offset a loss on shares against profits in funds?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

You're correct - your losses on share disposals are not offsettable against your profits on funds.

In part that's because your fund profits are actually liable to income tax, albeit at a special rate, whereas share disposal come within the CGT regime.

What's less defensible is that losses on one fund are not allowble against profits on a different fund investment.

Advertisement