Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Altering Pj's

Options
  • 12-02-2024 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

My favourite pair of pyjamas need the elasticated waistband taken in(the elastic has stretched too far), they are a heavy fleece that can't be gotten anymore. Do sewers think this is worth doing or is buying the more economical option?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

How is the waistband attached? You may be able to just replace the waistband.

If it's in a tube of folded over fabric, then just find a spot in the seam you can break into, pull out the elastic and then thread in new elastic and stitch the seam. You can get different widths of elastic so pick one that matches the channel, you can buy it by the metre.

IF it's in a tube and anchored in place, you could pick the anchoring stitch line, and then you're back to getting elastic out of a tube (and otpiontally stitching it down again.

IF it's exposed elastic, that'll be a bit more fun to do but with a zigzag stitch and some careful tension you should be fine. (I recommend the prym elastic for this, all the sewing shops in the country have big colourful rolls of it).

You could also drop it into an alterations place to do the repair. Replacement may be more economical but less ecological.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Thanks so much for that info, in case anyone is interested.

Couldn't deal with unpicking all the over and under locking and left it in to be done professionally, 18e!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was a bit shocked at the price but its appox half the price of getting a new less fluffy pair.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The price is for about 30 minutes work, plus the cost of maintaining the machines, rent for the building, insurance, wages, etc. It's cheaper than buying a sewing machine though...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Yes, I have an accounting adjacent background, it just seemed a lot of money for some ripping and feeding elastic into a tube. But as my disability prevented me from doing it myself.....................................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

It's time, you must pay for someone's time. I did the same for my daughter today, tightened up the elastic in the back of a pair of pants, well replaced it actually. It took me about 40 mins between unpicking side seam bit, feeding in elastic and sewing up the two opened up bits again neatly. Luckily I already had a reel of the right colour thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement