Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook Friend asking for barrys tea and biscuits to be sent to USA from Ireland

Options
  • 12-02-2024 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

I used the term friend in a light way. But have been FB friends for a year or two. I only have real friends who live away from Ireland generally on FB, and also some small time musicians and writers on FB (for keeping up with books, music etc). She's connected to some small time musicianson there and sent invitation to be FB friend. She's into similar music etc. She asked me after some banter recently, if I would send on Barry's Tea and Choc biscuits. I packaged them up on Saturday after getting them as part of weekly shop. She then asked agan via messenger if I'd sent them. Red flags went. I know she's asked for funding for various non-essential things on FB before and thanked someone for a package of tea or something similar from England. She lies in the US. Postage would be about 15 euros or more from my An Post calculations. Not goign to break the bank could this be some test of vulnerablity? etc. Or am I being over-cautions? No money was offered for me sending them. Seems a bit cheeky.

Post edited by labrik on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭labrik

Thanks for the reply. I thought more of leech than a scammer. I did tell her it's bit direct for us over here in UK or Ireland to have someone ask without offering money. There must be an Irish shop in Chicago where she could get them. I don't want to be rude to Anericans but is it more common do this kind of direct asking? She does it a bit. She's in and out of jobs. Someone suggested to go on welfare and she said 'last resort'. You're right Mario, I'll keep the tea and biscuits. Not a tea drinker but I'll have it for friends and family when they call over.

Post edited by labrik on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

OP There’s definitely shops over there that stock Irish products.

Let her go and order it off them shops within the States rather than getting you to go to the hassle of sending them there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,505 ✭✭✭baldbear

100% ask for them to send the cash. To not even offer 1st is a massive red flag. They are a scrounger.

Def, a scrounger. i think a better word is entitled. I've seen her ask for donations for things like concert tickets (non-essential items). I pointed out I work in a stressful job I don't like and can't afford a lot of things. She nearly had me there. I think she plays on people's emotions as most scroungers do. Poor me, type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,470 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Bizarre.....

I know Facebook uses the term 'friends' but am I right in saying this is someone you have never met.

So this punter is asking people he/she barely know to do this; doesnt offer cash.

I suppose she gets a free box of Irish team and biscuits out of it, for free. And is sending reminder texts to know where the f the package is.

Not sure what you get out of it.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You're a very kind person for even entertaining the idea and sorry to say, she's a scrounger trying to take advantage of that.

Delete her, move on and enjoy the tea and biscuits yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

The question

Why are you FB friends with her so?

Tell her she can order online herself.

https://www.barrysteashop.ie/products/gold-blend-80s

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What would actually happen if you just blocked the facebook profile?

It is hard to gauge just how much of a friend this person actually is, but if I'm reading correctly then its just some random that once sent you a friend request? Do you have much interaction with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,709 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'd donate the postage cost to Ukraine and eat and drink the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Barrys is available in some stores in the US, have seen it in the international section of a supermarket in Pittsburgh. Expensive though, think it was $8 for a box of 80!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,667 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

OP jumps his gate when he gets home, as to not to wear the hinges

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

OP, a couple of years ago when the orange Twirls came out I posted something light-hearted about trying them out and one of my NY-based cousins messaged me to say she absolutely needed to try them. I offered to send her some, added a few other Cadbury's bits (American chocolate is diabolical, you'd feel sorry for them really 😂) and the postage came to €13. I sent them on, she was happy out but the postage cost really stuck in my craw, think it cost more than what I'd spent on the chocolate and I wouldn't offer to do it again - even for family! So I wouldn't blame you for not paying €15 to send a stranger some non-essential items.

Thanks for all the kind comments. To put this person in context. I have only 90 FB connections. Most are real friends who live abroad. I had lived in London and Berlin for most of my adult life. But back in Ireland 8 years now.. Irish friends pm FB are those who sent invites (only a few). I prefer to keep it to phone calls, in person. No family on there. Others include minor musicians, people in the arts that I keep in contact with for projects. She's one of the only random connections and she invited me to be a 'friend'. Never messaged her. Other real friends are her mutual ones on it. I don't live on FB. It's a bit of banter and mostly posting articles or music. Not too much over-sharing.

I put this message up on here, more to see what people thought. As I said she did look for crowd funding for pet issues, but also for general maintenance, but then announces she's had this lovely meal to cheer her up. Went to this concert. I was slightly bemused that people funded her. One person did say to get some welfare.

And I guess we had a bit of banter before her asking for this. I did say it depends on postage. I thought why not? But then red flags went up. Again, I think she's more a self-indulgent chancer than a scammer. But who knows if I sent tha package. It might be an air fair to Ireland next she'd be looking for to visit me.

And yes, it's time to unfriend her on there.

I think it even could be more than 15 euros. I did a rough estimate on the An Post site and it was more like 20 euros. Costs have gone up . It costs my mother 7 or 8 euro to send a local Irish newpaper ot an aunt in a village in England. It was about a fiver last year. Even my aunt says don't bother, it's too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,709 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My main problem with this whole thing is that tea is not grown in Ireland and I'd put serious money on it not being the worlds best and on better being available in the US for less, if you include the massive postage costs these days - a recent b'day card to the Uk was €2.20!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

theres this thing cvalled the internet, and on it you can buy irish foods online and have them delivered worldwide. Might be handier if they just do that

Advertisement