Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbering on a Stamp 1G?

Options
  • 12-02-2024 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey all, I have a friend on a Stamp 1G who is looking at a barber training program. From what I understand about barbers and hairdressers, in some cases they rent a chair and are considered self-employed, which I believe is not allowed under a Stamp 1G. Does anyone have any direct experience with this? I'm curious if this is a correct interpretation of the Stamp 1G and how it relates to barbers. Is it difficult to find a shop that employs their barbers, rather than working on a chair rental model?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,321 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Stamp 1 indicates permission to work or operate a business in Ireland, subject to conditions. In order to obtain a stamp 1 permission, you must hold a valid employment permit, or a letter from ISD stating that you can work without an employment permit. This letter will also state if you are allowed to set up a business or be self-employed in the State. Stamp 1 is reckonable as residence when applying for citizenship by naturalisation.

Summary of conditions

You must not start a job or enter employment unless you or your employer has obtained an employment permit for you, or if your letter of permission clearly states you do not require an employment permit.

If you do not have an employment permit you must not engage in any business, trade or profession unless specified in a letter of permission from ISD. If you wish to stay in Ireland past the expiry date of your immigration permission, you must apply to renew your permission and registration before they expire.

Examples when used

You may be given Stamp 1 if you have permission to:

• Work here based on an employment permit
    • Operate a business here
    • Work here based on a Working Holiday Authorisation.*

*This permission is not renewable or variable and you must leave the State on the expiry of your working holiday authorisation

Advertisement