Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 12-02-2024 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭

On the 12th February 1998, I made the first post on a bulletin board for the computer game Quake... Two years later, to the day, we launched boards.ie

Happy 26th (or 24th, depending on how you look at it) birthday boards.ie! https://www.boards.ie/discussion/1/quake-ie-wwwboard

Comments

You started a really great online Irish institution, let’s say your good work ceased with the transposition to Vanilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

Good ole quake - happy birthday boards

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

12th February, my first love's birthday!

No, not Boards. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

FYI: In 2011, I sold Daft Media my remaining shares in boards.ie Ltd. I stayed on as a non-executive director until 2018, when boards.ie was brought under the umbrella of Journal Media. In 2020, boards.ie became a separate company again as Boards Software Ltd. It's great to see that the site is still quite active, with the current total post count standing at around 55 million messages

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

If you got a cent for everyone of those 55million , you’d have a lot cents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Fair play to you, you done well. The site is in it’s twilight years now for sure, but you can be proud of what you’ve achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Definitely noticed a bit of a bounce back now after the Vanilla update (It really did look like the site was done there for a bit) so I don't think it's done just quite yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

You don't need to explain yourself to anyone. You provided a great service for free to a generation of people like myself. Why shouldn't you have benefited financially from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Founding member of the site comes on to acknowledge an historic date, gets lambasted by people still wet behind the ears.

Oh boards.ie, never change. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Was a good thread title, suitably cryptic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

The internet is a very different place now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

(You develop a very thick skin after so many years, don't worry too much about me!)

But yes, it's great to see the continued activity - I am not active - but pop in every now and again to make sure the wheels haven't come off.

Daddy Cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well someone needs to get onto the Ranting and Raving forum then, there hasn't been a post there since December they all seem to be appearing on the TA thread.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

It’s no longer required, all the ranting and raving is front of house now.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Well done Cloud and good to see you checking in.

Its a unique Irish institution in my view, for better or worse (its got a bit of both).

Interesting that you no longer really use it, thats fair enough.

I guess when it started out - it wasnt against a backdrop where people were en masse spending 5/6/7 hours a day on social media. They are now. So a different beast.

Anyway - nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭spark_tank

Nerd!

Ah no, it really has been (and is) a huge part of Ireland's online existence.

It has wained a bit but still it remains the place to come for so many different groups of people, from farmers, to public sector workers, to film fans, to bargain hunters and god knows what else.

The fact that people get so angry when it's changed in any way shows how important it is to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Me and my friends have fond memories of posting on boards from the computer lab in NUIG back then. One of us even had Cloud as a lecturer!

We definitely weren’t the core demographic of the site back then which was definitely more gamer neckbeard heavy metal types. It was good fun back then though. Way more fun and far less hostile and outrage driven.

Believe it or not we all still keep in touch from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,354 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well done Cloud.

It's been a great institution down through the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks Cloud, I've been knocking around here since 2007, so I was late to the party but?

Boards.ie and some of the posters here carried me through my roughest times, and it still gives me a leg up on occasion 👍

I'm very grateful for the community that arose from a bunch of gaming nerds 😁

Advertisement