Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drilling sound when hot water is on

Options
  • 11-02-2024 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just noticed this evening that I have a very loud drilling sound (best way I can describe it) when a hot water tap is turned on. The strangest thing is that I can't pinpoint where it's coming from.

The hot water cylinder is in a room directly below the tank in the attic. We have a grundfos 3 bar pump for all the hot water and for the bathroom cold water. The 2 bathrooms in the house are either side of the hot water cylinder and the pipes for those bathrooms run across the ceiling so there's not much enclosed pipework other than a single line under the floor to the kitchen. I initially thought it might be the pump but the noise doesn't happen when the pump is running for the cold water. Also turning on the shower which has a mixer doesn't cause the sound. It's only when a hot tap is turned on.

I've checked what I can and there's no obvious location or cause for it. Just wondering what it might be and whether or not I should turn off the hot water? Hoping it might be something simple that won't need a plumber to call out.

Worth noting that the cylinder is relatively new, we renovated the bathrooms about 4 years ago and upgraded it at the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Sounds like water hammer. You've a loose pipe somewhere that vibrates. Very difficult to pinpoint and resolve.

Advertisement