Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to start? Naive questions below!

Options
  • 11-02-2024 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

I'm thinking of setting up a personal gym/studio, but with the possibility to expand the offer on personal training/physio/massage in the future. There is no exact plan here, for the moment, I'll be treating this is as just a personal gym for myself and family. Since a lot of the equipment I plan to buy is outside of EU borders (mainly US, Canada, UK and China) and I was wondering what sort of tax/business leverages could I make use of to optimize upfront costs of the busines (ie. shed acquisition/construction, import duty, vat, taxes, etc)? I'm not trying to avoid paying taxes, but would like to understand if there's any advantages to import registered as a business/EORI and whether - without necessarily cheating the tax office - if I can minimize the upfront costs or reclaim some other way down the line? I'm super naive about business and taxes, so take this as me trying to figure out where to start and what may or may not make sense. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

If you want to start a business like that and claim expenses from the get go the first thing you'll need to do is qualify as a personal trainer/phsyio/masseur. Then register for VAT.

Otherwise everyone wanting a home gym could say I'm thinking of turning it into a business, maybe.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "qualify"?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Luna84

First things first get on the steroids as nobody wanting to build muscle will take you serious if you just look like any guy who works out. As in not looking ripped with pronounced muscles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You will need a relevant recognised and accredited qualification. e.g. https://ntc.ie/becoming-a-personal-trainer-in-ireland-where-to-study/

Getting insurance for a business would be impossible without staff being suitably qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭gagomes

Thanks, that makes sense. Appreciated for the link and tip regarding insurance. I have only briefly looked at the US certifications and qualifications (NCSA, NASM, etc), but never really looked into the Irish equivalent. Given my personal experience with a few different PTs, I imagine this is more representative of a tick-box exercise than a serious commitment to be able to perform the job, so I'll see what it takes and whether it's worth the time/money. In saying that, it's no surprise @Luna84 believes one must take steroids to be successful in a job that requires more mental capacities than physical (notwithstanding the first-hand experience required to be a good PT)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

FishOnABike has pretty much answered the question.

Personal experience of working with or under other personal trainers either here or abroad will count for nothing when it comes to you being classed as qualified although it will help you in studying for the certificate.

Think along the lines of Roy Keane had to study and pass certified exams to be a qualified football coach before he could apply for a job as one.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Homer

You mention a shed. Where are you planing on establishing the gym? You may need to look at planning if building and regulations with regards to same.

Advertisement