Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emigrating to Australia

Options
  • 11-02-2024 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I was in Australia on a work-holiday visa many years ago. My dream was always to emigrate to Australia, but the life situation would not allow it. I am now in my forties, and living with parents and family, and feeling very, very depressed. I read the news every day and things in Ireland just seem to be not working. I can never rent and I can never own a home on my own. I can't have a relationship as a result either.

I work in Dublin and live in a commuter town. The travel into town takes me 1.5 hours each way. I am lucky if I get a train back, as they are full, and if I do, I am standing for 45 minutes. Not to be a Moaning Michael, but I don't have a life. I work for money, and it goes in the bank. I bought some vanity items, like phones, computers, tablets because I am into technology and I try and make a life with the current situation. I have saved about 20k already. I know I am a lot better off than some, as I have a roof over my head, and a job. I know the situation is better than a lot, and in a way I am grateful. At the same time, I am on anti-depressants, and tried therapy, but 90+ euro per week on therapy, it doesn't help at all. It's just some geezer sitting there asking questions. I could do a lot per week with 90 euro that would actually be more rewarding than a 50 minute session with a scam artist.

I tried applying for social housing many years ago, and got on the list, but recently got taken off. After 10 years on the list, I wasn't even close to a social house. I was chiselled off the list, my only hope, without any notice.

Not to go into my whole life story, but I wanted to paint a picture of how I feel with my current situation. Does anyone else in their late thirties or forties feel the same way or in the same situation? Has anyone emigrated successfully to Australia and found a job and a place to rent and is finding the place better?

I did not get much of an opportunity in my thirties to work, but I now have a couple of years experience in software development. I have degrees from university in Ireland from years ago, and a recent cert/diploma or two a couple of years ago. I mostly do web stuff in my current job.

I was kind of wondering -- what is the route out? Should I book a 3 month tourist visa and try and get a sponsorship? Should I go the full route with a full independent work visa? How long would that take? Is there anything I can do in software development that could improve my prospects of getting jobs? What certs/qualifications would be worth doing?

In a way, I kind of want to just book out of this **** country and try and make it over there. I know from experience though, I probably need some kind of long term plan, and most possibly some short term goals to support it.

Is there a better city or two in Australia that everyone has emigrated to?

Thanks,

Comments

Advertisement