Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel rim bike build ? Too good to be true ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

THe contact form doesnt work, their FAQ doesnt owrk and has place holder text. Its advertised in multiple currencies with no real information about themselves or where they are from... If it looksl ike a scam and walks like a scam its probably a scam. Open to being corrected but I wouldnt risk it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

8kg for a fully built steel frame sunds too good to be true too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Interesting one for sure. I’ve never heard of them. Worth doing some digging on the company before pulling the trigger.

Looks like a nice deal if it’s legit. The wheels could be trash but that’s not a huge deal on a build of that price. As long as the frame is good. Any reviews online? Or does the company have any social media?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

There are answers on reddit about them I just checked there and people are happy enough with their purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭comete

Its chromoly steel tubing, 8kg for a fully built bike is highly ambitious. It’s cheap for a reason. You’d be better buying an older Reynolds 853 or Columbus slx frame, but even then it’s not going to be lighter than your canyon.

Ive a 60cm Genesis volare 931 and it’s not heavy but it’s no lightweight either. I toyed with selling it, but realistically I never will because it’s the best bike I’ve ever owned. That frameset was over £2000 new in 2020.

• Advertisement

seems nice enough. That's the slightly heavier frame there at 8.8kg.

It's definitely a bit dodgy from the general site but they sell to ali express so I could get it from there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Plenty of dodgy stuff on aliexpressm wouldn't trust anything stated as Shimano on it either.

You don't seem to be sure what you want op. You wanted an amu bike the other day, and now steel. I love steel, have 3 of them, and had 2 others, but not all steel is equal.

So what do you want it for?, we could help better then.

There's a shop or 2 in Dublin with some nice classic steel frames hanging about the place that I bet would be better

I need a run around in 105 so I can commute to work and throw it on the turbo. I was using a claris Thompson on the turbo but it's too small and 8 gears is too limited on hard courses with hills. I'll keep the canyon for outside hills and my good bike. Its a savage yoke to cycle. But its on the turbo at the moment and I'm using it for work.

I wanted something different and was thinking steel with 105. I'm sick of generic bikes like defy, attains etc and even my canyon but that's cause I'm using it for work and everything else. I want to get something unique that will hold my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Normally unique means more expensive unless you want to look second hand. E.g. there is a rim brake Genesis Equilibrium on Adverts for 500. Those generic bikes tend to be good for things like commuting too.

You could also look at changing trainer difficulty which would give you the same effect as easier gears, or even upgrading to virtual shifting (seems very cheap if you have a Kickr Core for example)

There is no way I'd buy that bike you linked - unknown brand, dodgy looking site, risk of import taxes, no warranty

• Advertisement

Thanks. I've decided not to buy it based on feedback here. I've sent them messages about some queries i had and they have not replied. I can only imagine if parts were missing or something happened to the frame it would be money down the drain.

I'm looking at a 2nd hand allu bike during the week for half that price in full 105 so I'll take my chances with that and it's already fully built.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Depends on the overriding driver (and far be it from me to suggest something other than a new bike) but cheapest option of more gears for the turbo (assuming it's for zwift) is the Zwift or Kickr Hub One with the virtual shifting? Assuming claris is serving you well for commuting.

The thompson with claris is a bit too small for me in anyway so I have it up for sale. I love 105 11 spd as its what I'm used to so i want everything in 105, turbo, commuter, enjoyment bike etc.

I have a tacx flux s literally brand new replaced by garmin despite being out of warranty. Attached is the set up I have. I'm getting a lovely allu bike in 105 hopefully tomorrow for a good price so I'll use that as my commuter and turbo bike. There is not many around either so I'm excited like a child at Christmas.

Got this tonight instead for €370. Guy bought it on cycle to work few years back, didn't like cycling and stuck it in the shed. Still has stickers on it and all. Alluminium with carbon fork merida scultura in Full 105 rim brake. I haven't seen many around. Merida own 49% of specilaised so that can only be a good sign. Light enough and very comfortable.

Advertisement