Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AEG shipment seizure

Options
  • 10-02-2024 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi guys I recently had orders 2 aegs from the Netherlands but when they came in I was sent a seizure letter, does anyone know the best course of action as I want to prevent any court scenario as I'm only 20 and don't have that kinda money.

This was the document I was sent if anyone knows how to approach this scenario

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Have you tried contacting them? Any idea if they were potentially over 1 joule?

Bit of info from the revenue.ie website:

What happens if Revenue seize my goods?

When your goods are seized, Revenue is required to make a determination, within a period of two months. This is to establish as to whether or not those goods are liable to forfeiture or are to be released.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭Dartz

Had a quick read of the law:

Did you do anything on this list? Most likely, are they over 1 Joule?

Which specific ones did you order?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 The Annihilator

See the guy in customs told me over phone there not 1 joule but when I ask for a test report of the rifles he then says he doesn't know what joules they are and the only way to find out is to appeal which I don't want to do as i don't want to go to court as it would cost me far more than those rifles did

Ye I contacted them but the guy stated that they were firing over a joule but I requested for a test report but he said then he doesn't know what joules it's firing at and has to send it to the drug enforcement unit to test if the rifles are legal. It's very confusing, would it not be possible to even have a technician adjust the spring tension to allow them in like

Master of the Universe

It all comes down to legality upon entry I'm afraid. If it's over 1 joule as it passes through customs then it's illegal. I know it's a pain but that's the way it is.

Follow up and make sure it's sent off for testing and that you get a result/proof of their status. It's got nothing to do with going to court by the way. If you read the letter it says 'LIABLE for forfeiture' - that means they'd be destroyed if they were over 1 joule but if they're not then they won't be. They still have to actually be tested and customs have two months to do this and will release them to you if they are legal.

It's possible that, as they didn't come in a box as they're second hand, the customs officer didn't have any output to check against on the box so googled them instead and saw them listed on a website at over 1 joule. He very well may be wrong.

• Advertisement

In one of the sections of the customs act it stated that if they found it to be illegally firing over a joule they can bring me to court essentially which I don't want to do cause otherwise I would just appeal and if they're over a joule they'd be destroyed then. Unless I'm reading the section incorrectly

I can only get the test report if I appeal but appealing allows them to prosecute me if found illegal under section 20 of customs act. Do you know if anyone who has gotten prosecuted over importation of possible illegal rifs

From what I've read of that it doesn't look like I've infringed anything there but the rifles could be firing over 1 joule , I have no certainty of knowing, the rifles were a vfc hk 416c aeg and a ics c-15 M4 aeg. I've looked up some websites that sell them and the HK could most likely be legal but I'm unsure about the ics

Master of the Universe

The customs guy you dealt with seems to be giving you contradictory info. At first he said they were firing over a joule but then backtracked and said he doesn't know/they've to be sent off for testing.

From my understanding, you're not at the appeal part as of yet. Customs need to send the guns for testing and if they are under 1 joule they will be released to you. Maybe just follow up with this guy seeing as you have his contact and keep checking in to make sure they have been tested and asking when they will be released to you?

If they come back and tell you they are being seized / to be destroyed as they are over 1 joule at that point you'd be making the appeal. (or not, given your fears of course)

To my knowledge by the way, nobody has been before the courts over this. However you definitely don't want to be the first! If the customs guy comes back saying they're over 1 joule then I'd be leaving it there and not appealing. (for the reasons you've stated)

I appealed it and am not so afraid now I seen few threads about seizures on here and considering the rifles are second hand and the HK is 9 years old and ics c-15 is 6 years old and were used a lot so definitely feel they gonna be shooting under a joule and they never got modified or maintained

Advertisement