Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live in Dublin to reach all colleges?

Options
  • 10-02-2024 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Is there an area in Dublin you'd think would be feasible to reach all the major Dublin colleges from?

I am massively jumping the gun but I am thinking of maybe trying to save for the next 10 - 15 years to have a decent deposit to buy a small 2 bed in Dublin, I'd need a mortgage along with it.

I've two children and imagine they would most likely go to college in Dublin if they go. They would be there at different times so I could have 1 room for my child and rent the other room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Along the N11 QBC, you can get the 155 that will get you to UCD, Trinity, DCU and TUD. TUD in Tallaght & Blanchardstown would be 2 buses at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭heretothere

Thanks, this is only a flightly idea that has come into my head. It won't be happening for at least 15 years. I lived in Dublin for a short while in Rathmines. I liked the area, also I know others in around Phibsborough I liked there too. I am saving towards their college anyway and I was hoping if I was able this might be a good idea compared to paying rent for 4 years each. It'd also be a good towards the pension. I'm an account I know it's not pure profit and there are a lot of bad points to being a LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,011 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Blanchardstown currently has buses serving TU Dublin, Trinity, UCD, DCU and Tallaght. Also a train to the city centre and to maynooth. Bizarrely well connected

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

It is better to pay rent and invest the money for a return.

Your children may end up with points for a place other than Dublin. The college year is relatively short and the place would be idle a lot of the time.

The most central place in the city to buy is around Smithfield. There are the 2 LUAs Lines going to TCT and the NCI and the 39a route to ucd and the TUD Blanchardstown. Wlaking distance to TUD Grangegorman and the NCA in Thomas St. DCU is also within reach.

@Claw Hammer you'd want to be getting a very decent return in order to cover their rent for the year. From what I can see student accommodation is approx €1k per month and you'd need it for 9 months even if they aren't there that whole time.

I've been looking around at where to invest for now and not coming up with a lot. So I'm just putting it into a regular saver until I think of something better, but also very secure!

It's very possible 1 if not both of them won't go to a university type college at all. If they want to do a trade etc I'd probably have a fair idea of what they are thinking by 5th year before making any decisions.

I would hope that having a small flat in Dublin for uni would mean that I would then be able to keep it for a few years and then sell. Hopefully having enough equity to give both children a decent help towards a house deposit of their own.

Maybe I am thinking a million miles too far ahead! I was very jealous of people at college who didn't have to miss out on loads of things because of money and don't want that for my children. I'm also aware my circumstances might change and I will need to spend that money else where.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

either Dublin 9 or Dublin 15 Area

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Even at 8k per year it is 32k over 4 yeras. Buying an apartment will cost you about 2k a year in service charges as well as requiring appliances to be maintained and other repairs and maintenance. Buying an apartment and getting rent from it full time would make more financial sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭Tow

It was common enough up to the end of the 80s for wealthy poor farmers to buy a place in Dublin for their children's collage education. You don't hear of it now days with high property prices and number of new 3rd level collages dotted around the country.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That's not a bad idea, but if possible I would steer your children away from Dublin unless they're doing a course where the "prestige" of a certain university would benefit them.

There is IMO, next to no difference where you study in this country, whether it's UCD or GMIT, but there's a big difference in the cost of living, transport, food etc.

I don't know what things will look like in 10-15 years, but you may find much better value in one of the smaller cities than Dublin. You may also get a bigger house with more rooms, and rent them out as well to cover the mortgage cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Anyone looking at bus routes needs to factor in that the network is changing under BusConnects.

The revised network is here:

https://busconnects.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/big-picture-map-170920-oe-web.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Piriz

Dublin 7, access to: Luas Red and Green line, 46A, TU Dublin is in Dublin 7, DCU is a cycle away.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Glasnevin, walk or cycle to DCU, bus to trinity and UCD

They can go where ever they want of course, it's just where we live on reasonably close public transport (30 min drive from the house) Dublin is the only option. If the tradition of going home every weekend etc changes they might well go to Cork, Limerick, Galway or one of the many ITs around the country but for example Cork would be the 2nd easiest to get to. They'd need a bus from here to Dublin, Luas to Heuston, Heuston to Cork. Probably 5 hours in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah, and their kids were always on the full grant as well, funny that.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement