Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is sound recording illegal

Options
  • 09-02-2024 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi my neighbour has threatened to call the Gardai over my daughter's apparently keeping her and her daughter awake at night and has approached me in a non civil manor this morning Infront of my children that she has recorded us through the walls on her phone. Is this legal and where do I stand in this as I know my children are always asleep at 10pm. ( This neighbour is always making noise till all hours even using blenders late at night) we live in a semi detached house and surely have privacy rights . Also we don't ever have dealings with her as she has irrated us many times.

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭victor8600

She can record whatever she wants in her own home. She is also free to go to the Gardaí and let them process her complaint and do nothing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Anonymous26

Hi victor8600. I'm aware that the Garda would do little as it is children involved but to have recordings on her phone of these things and most likely sharing with others, surely has to be consented by me or my wife ? And yes I am aware of many many other things that she has said and slandered us in many ways to other neighbours as I've had many chats with other neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

One does not need consent to record noises in one's own home. If your neighbour, in the supposed privacy of their own home, has been able to record your children making noise through the wall and it has recognisably been your children then maybe they have a point.

That's fair enough but I have no evidence of this other than she stated to me that she has recordings of our home. And knowing that my kids are never up past 10pm and fast asleep. Should I ask for proof of this or just leave as she stated it was keeping her awake all night and that it goes on all night. We don't even consume alcohol and are very seldom up this late at night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,802 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

If you know that you are not making noise let her go to the guards.

I doubt they'll entertain her. I would also doubt she has a recording.

There's a certain amount of noise to be expected from a semi-d , especially if walls are paper thin.

I would also be wary of discussing her with other neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Recording the level of noise heard is a normal part of noise disputes; that isn't the angle to deal with this from.

Well the houses are only 4 years old and you can only here noise outside rather than inside the house trough windows per day. But again walls are not exactly paper thin as you can here knocking and drilling as an example and would have to have an ear to the wall to even hear muttering. I do believe she is lying about it and I wouldn't be one to go talking about her , it's more people brought it up to me what she had said in the past ( bare in mind it's been nearly 2 years since she has so much as said a word to us in any way )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Just tell her to **** off and then the next day leave a lit bag off dog **** at her front door.

----------------------------------------

Mod Warning: Cop on

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Advertisement