Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help valuing a bike (TT bike) for purchase.

Options
  • 08-02-2024 1:05pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I am looking at a 2013 Argon E118, seller seems nice. Seems to be the original spec components except for the wheels but I just feel it is not worth as much as they think it is but I also don't want to low ball them as they are local so if its actual value is more than I want to pay I will just leave it. So its Dura Ace, 11 speed, 2013 (I would say it is 9000). Frame looks in good condition, I'll probably volunteer to leave their nice wheels with them to keep the price down but what is the going rate for a not historically going to be worth more than it was paid for. I'd always have went on a straight 50% of original RRP but this bike is now over 10 years old. Best guess, 50% of RRP would leave it at €2000 (but records on value vary wildly)

It is effectively this bike but with different wheels and an older Dura Ace groupset rather than a newer Ultegra. https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2145086/

I am thinking €1750 with the wheels and between €1000 to €1250 without the wheels

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I had one of these bikes, nice bike. If I remember right it was about 3500 new with sram Force on it. There has been a few new versions since then, e118 next, then the e119 and e119 tri plus, then at least 2 gens of disc brake models too so it's a fairly old bike at this stage. First thing I would check is the stem bolts, the bike had a strange design where the stem seems to be bolted directly into the headtube, known issue of the bolts sheering off and the bars slipping or the threading slipping within the frameset and bars slipping, could be fixed but lot of the time meant bonding the bolts or the threads in place and meant no adjustment from level.

Hard to know with the price, TT bikes are strange, in general they don't really hold their value but the older ones seem to be more expensive than you would think too. Personally I'd say 1500 with wheels is a very good price for both people, but some depends on how new the wheels are really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Thansk for that. Yeah, had to go searching to find the year of the wheels, they are not as new as I thought, and are possibly 12 years old. I might just leave them out, the pics possibly show some rim wear, but if I get down to €1500 I might take a punt with the wheels.

Thanks for the advice about the stem bolt, I will take the torque wrench with me and see are their any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

The 56 Cervelo big enough for you? These seems much better value than the prices your suggesting for the E118.

Certain models of TT bikes do keep value their well and are usually lightly used but even if it's mint it's 11 years old now and fairly old tech. Bike inflation has cooled a lot from the covid madness. 50% for a 5 year old bike would seem a better ball mark.

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/cervelo-p2-tt-bike/36065244?modal=gallery

https://www.adverts.ie/road-bikes/argon-18-e112/31944130

Advertisement