Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant filling of attic tank

Options
  • 08-02-2024 4:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I will try my best to explain the issue as clearly as l can. The water tank in the attic seems to be filling itself, stopping and filling itself repeatedly. The noise is driving me mad, particularly at night when the house is quiet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,114 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The attic tank is designed to fill itself, otherwise it would get empty pretty quickly. When it has filled itself, it shouldn't need any more water until water is used (or else it would overflow).

So if it's running constantly on and off. It means that water is being drained constantly. First assumption would be you have a leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

Thank you. What should l do next?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭RockOrBog

There should be an overflow from the tank, probably the 2nd highest pipe in the tank. I'd check that. Could be a faulty ballcock.

Disclaimer I'm not a plumber

If its a leak, what's my next move?

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭RockOrBog

Call a plumber

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Check toilet cisterns.

Good point.

No running there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Your best bet is to call a plumber.

If there is no water coming out of the taps in the house, the toilet, the overflow pipe to the outside of the house and the radiators then you need a plumber. to help diagnose. And if there is then you still need a plumber to fix the problem unless you are very comfortable doing plumbing yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

We had this issue, and also saw water coming out of the overflow pipe which comes out from under the rood into our back garden. When we checked the water tank in the attic I could see that the ball cock and valve weren't working correctly, which meant the tank was constantly filling and hence there was water coming out of the overflow pipe.

I got a new valve in a builders' providers and replaced it myself. It was relatively easy to do, especially after watching a couple of good You Tube videos. But if you're not certain what the issue is, or even if you are but aren't comfortable fixing it yourself, then definitely contact a plumber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Put a small amount of food colouring into the toilet cisterns and don't flush for an hour or two. That's the best way as some leaks can't be seen against the back of the toilet porcelain.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

First are the washing machine or dishwasher running? Then check the toilets, taps and showers and if there is no flow from those, go to the attic and check the tank. If ballcock needs fixing or replacing it's not a big job.

No water from over flow. Thinking time for plumber for a diagnoses.

Brilliant idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Had this issue a few years ago. For me it was a slow trickle from the toilet cistern. It was barely noticeable on first inspection, but at a closer look I could see a slow trickle at back of toilet bowl.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm not a plumber but if the OP can hear the tank toppping up then it's hardly a fault with the ballcock - that appears to be working as intended. Something that should be off or idle is drawing water, that's why the tank needs topping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I've a family member who had this problem several times.

Every time it was a faulty toilet flush valve slowly leaking water into the bowl.

Advertisement