Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I wanted to ask about applying for illness benefit.

Options
  • 07-02-2024 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I was on sick leave for the period from around september to december 2023. However I was undertaking treatment in India(while being employed in Ireland). I have been told I am still eligible to apply for atleast 3 weeks(maybe more) of illness benefit. I have the proper written certificates from my doctor but I dont know if those will qualify. I am explicitly asked for a "certificate of incapacity to work" which I am not sure my Indian doctor can provide. I do however have the handwritten certificates given to me by my doctor explaining the period of time I was unable to work. Will this certificate suffice ? Do I need to send in the original copy of these certs or do I need to somehow ask a local irish gp explaining my situation and get this particular cert/e-cert from local doctor.

Letter I received from Department of social protection. . In this context what would a "script certificate" be since its not allowed ?? Any help much appreciated <3

"""We have received your application form for Illness/Injury Benefit but we have not yet received any medical evidence to support your application.

We need your GP to complete a "Certificate of Incapacity for Work" for you, or your GP can alternatively submit your cert electronically. This is known as an E-cert.

Please note the script certificates are not acceptable as medical evidence.

If your doctor supplies you with a Certificate of Incapacity, this should be posted to:

Social Welfare Services

PO Box 1650

Dublin 1

If you do not do this, it may delay your payment or the award of credited contributions.

Yours sincerely,

DECIDING OFFICER (CO) - GENERAL BENEFITS

Illness Benefit

Department of Social Protection

DSP Privacy Statement

The Department of Social Protection administers Ireland's social protection system. Customers are required to provide personal data to determine eligibility for relevant payments/benefits. Personal d may be exchanged with other Government Departments/Agencies where provided for by law. Our privacy statement is available at www.gov.ie/dsp/privacystatement or in hard copy upon request.

Lo-Call: 0818 928 400(Rep. of Ireland only)

Int: +353 1 704 3300

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You need a registered & presumably an Irish Based GP to issue an "certificate of incapacity to work" which more than just a sick note. Said GP can send this electronically to DSP but they'll not even consider doing this without an examination, which DSP pay for. Furthermore the GP would then be required to continue sending in a cert, Monthly or a closed one for an expected long term illness.

It is not clear in your post if your actually in Ireland, but if not, I don't believe illness benefit is paid if you are not resident (open to correction) But regardless you'll need a GP registered in Ireland to issue the cert & they'll require full details of your illness + carry out an examination

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Dempo is correct, the Department does not accept non-EU certification under any circumstances so the only way you are going to get payment for the period in India is if your Irish GP is happy to certify you as unfit for work

Advertisement