Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Family Holiday something different to Spain and Portugal

Options
  • 07-02-2024 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking for an alternative to Spain and Portugal for a sun holiday, we go there every year and it ticks the boxes but I'm thinking of something different.

I have 2 kids with ASD so flight duration can't be much more than 3 hours, I can just about keep them calm for that long.

Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

A few years ago we rented an AirBNB house in Bidart (near Biarritz) in the south of France. Bus links were great so we took day trips to Biarritz and all over. We spent a week there then took the bus to San Sebastian in northern Spain and spent another week there so it felt like two separate holidays, was wonderful.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The 3 hour flight is limiting.

Corsica or Sardinia maybe, they might be in range.

The Balearic Islands in Spain if you haven't been there before.

Greece, including Crete, Malta, North Africa, Turkey, Canaries, all look out of reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

What about Italy, very child friendly. The Lake Garda region (Bella Italia / Gardaland) has lots to offer and frequent/ reasonable flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I'd second that - we have been there at least 5 or 6 times. Fly to Verona and Bella Italia or Camping del Garda is about half an hour away by taxi. Venice is about an hour and a half away on the train. Verona is great too and Gardaland. We never bothered with a car as the public transport is so good.

Advertisement