Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Doorbell Replacement Wiring

Options
  • 07-02-2024 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi Everyone,

I am replacing an old doorbell and everything I read pointed to it being with two wires and all seemed pretty simple. I took off old ringer and noticed 4 wires in two pairs. Red/Black & Yellow/Blue. I changed these over to the new doorbell but it is not working.

Was thinking maybe needed battery but old bell didnt have one and doorbell doesnt work with power off.

Wiring on old doorbell seems pretty simple

I have tried the new doorbell with wires in both 0 and 1....I also checked on the doorbell button and this has same wires in same pairing at the door. Probably something stupid but any advice appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi! Is the top photo the door-bell button or what is it? I'm not sure why it has a coil in it. Do you have a better photo? Do you have a doorbell transformer in your consumer unit - it's usually a box taking up two breaker locations with no switch on the front.

Do you have a multimeter or a way of testing for voltage? If so, check the voltage between the wires in the top photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hans.gruber

Hi,

The top photo is the old bell itself....now it could be very very old. I thought the coil was strange to. I cant find any transformer anywhere but the fuse box is on the other side of the bell. There are only switches on it and doesnt seem to be a transformer. Unless it is behind the fuseboard panel.

sorry , larger photo as well

Ok, I understand now, I thought that was the button. That coil is the striker mechanism for the bell.

So right now you have a disconnect in the circuit where the 9v battery should go. But the thing is that you already have a power supply (the transformer) in the circuit, and you don't want two power supplies.

Check the install guide to see if there is an option to run this bell off an external transformer... or give us the link to the bell and we'll have a look.

What I think you'll need to do is connect junction 3 and 2 together with a jumper.

Two options in the manual for running off transformer. Stupid question but how do I identify which are coming off transformer considering all 4 wires go to button

• Advertisement

You don't - they paralleled the wire for some reason. Connect it up like 2C!

Perfect, that worked. Thanks a mill. Really appreciate it

Advertisement