Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinvara 3/4 Marathon 2nd March 2024, entry required

Options
  • 06-02-2024 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi. Race is sold out, but i am looking for an entry for the 3/4 marathon in Kinvara if anyone cannot attend. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Bump on this thread. I am looking for a 1/2 place if anybody has one going. TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

They're currently looking for pacers, if that interests you instead of racing it.

Thanks. I actually got sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,003 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Anyone do this on Saturday, I did the 3/4s, it was hell. That long straight with the wind directly in your face, I found it really tough. Wonder what others thought of it.

I did the 1/2 and had similiar feelings. It was really challenging to with the wind on the 2 long straights. I normally avoid them at all costs but I stuck with a pacing group for some moral support (and shelter!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I've done the half there quite a number of times and last Sat was the worst conditions ever. It's so exposed, that stretch which was 8.2km long that you're talking about, was really tough with that wind and no respite from it and then that last hill with 3km to go finishes you off. Are you training for a full? I'd say take a few days to recover from it properly and it will really stand to you - mentally and physically.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TimeClock18

I did the 3/4 Saturday and with about 6km to go my legs went, dropped off the 7:30 pace group and I had to trundle home on my own. I'll be doing similar taking a few days to recover, still feeling it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I originally had signed up for a 3/4, but was sick over Christmas and had covid in January so didn't get to do half the training I planned, so I dropped to the half.

Even then the half was very ambitious as I've only ran over 10km once since early December.

What a terrible half to "ease" myself back into it :D. That long straight you are talking about was as tough of running as I've ever experienced. Walked up that hill 3km out and had to do some more walking after that as my calves were twinging.

"Survive" was my goal going into it, and I did come through unscathed, but wont be rushing back to do a race so unprepared again.

I am training for Limerick in April, I know it was a long run to do so far out but just wanted to test myself to see how i feel.

It was incredible stuff, Every year, I participate in the half-distance event, but this year, I said i would try the three-quarters distance. Usually, the long straight part is a relief, allowing me to catch my breath and relax a bit. But this time around, I found it impossible to settle into a comfortable pace and reduce my heart rate; it felt like a constant battle. It's somewhat comforting to know that I wasn't the only one who found it tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭chubba1984

I did the 3/4 Saturday, was using it as a build up for Limerick marathon on May Bank Holiday weekend. Had a nice consistent block of training done over the last few months, with a 1:39 half in December, but had a persistent cold/chest infection for 2/3 weeks at start of Feb which knocked me back a bit. Plan beforehand was to stay with 8:30 pacers but I felt ok once I got running so just kept a group of Clare Crusaders in their orange tops who were in and around the 8:00 pacers in sight. Was going well and was happy out about a minute or so behind them until I turned that corner into the vortex! It was the toughest running I've ever done. Got up the bit of a hill in the middle of the 5 miles going NW to about the 15 mile mark and the sight of another long straight into the wind broke me a bit. Had to just try collect myself to stop myself from abandoning ship - it was too cold though! Got myself moving along again for a couple of miles with a walk 1 min, jog/run 9 strategy and got back to a good pace for the last 2 miles and finished it out fairly strong. Finished under 2:50 but the last third took over an hour.

I wouldn't be the most mentally resilient so I was just proud I kept at it and finished it out. It really was a case of survival though.

Thought the organisation etc. was top notch, they couldn't do much about the gale coming from the north-west unfortunately!

Advertisement