Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uk bike in Donegal a few years….will it be a headache?

Options
  • 05-02-2024 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

How’s it going,this has probably been done to death at this stage but I’m finding it hard to get info….

im looking to buy a Uk bike that the chap has bought in the mainland Uk as he works there quite a lot and lives there 5 days a week and comes home to Donegal the weekend.The bike is a 2018 1000cc bike in beautiful condition with 8000kms but I want to register it on Republic of Ireland plates I think I kinda know the process but if anyone can help or correct me would be great-it’s been in Donegal a few years but never was declared.

I think I need a customs declaration Ireland agent I found one for €150

its proof of ownership in the uk?

handwritten proof of sale?

revenue vrt quote?

and an appointment with the Nct centre?

Anyone know if this will just be an expensive headache trying to sort because it wasn’t declared in Donegal within 30 days I think it is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Any imported vehicle is supposed to be declared within 30 days iirc. Beyond that there is a penalty added to the VRT for every day over the 30 days.

When you clear the bike, you need to be able to provide proof of when it was physically imported into the country. So I'd say its much more hassle than its worth imo. You could open a case with Citizens information and they will be able to tell you exactly what you need to do to clear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The seller made their own mess, it's not yours to sort out. Make them an offer conditional on the bike being cleared on Irish plates.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I just wanted to update this,i got the bike transferred to Irish plates it was actually a fairly straightforward process,I booked the vrt inspection and they were happy all was in order €404 euro to clear it then tax it online with the last 6 digits of the vin number once that’s done you receive the log book from Shannon in the post👍🏼The bike was a peach and well worth the small amount of inconvenience to change her over to Irish plates

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Thanks for updating the thread, just wondering how you got around paying VAT and customs, did they ask for proof the bike had been imported pre brexit?

No I only paid vrt as I had proof the bike was owned by a guy in the Uk that had both a Uk and Irish address so it was over and back quite a bit and i also had proof in the form of the ferry tickets of when it most recently came into Ireland.It wasn’t mentioned anything about brexit at all.

• Advertisement

As far as I’m aware and the guy doing the inspection told me the only time it’s a bit more hassle is when it’s a new bike or has less than 8k km’s or 5k km’s I can’t remember which figure it was,for a new bike you need a certificate of conformity and it’s a good deal more expensive to vrt

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Under 6 months old OR less than 6000km is treated as new.

Not your ornery onager

That’s the one I wasn’t sure,it’s a whole other list of boxes to tick then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Glad you got it sorted. Did you use a customs agent, or how did you get your SAD form?

No there’s no need for a customs agent I did it myself it’s just an unnecessary extra expense I can see why someone might want one if it was a New bike but not an older one as the process is easy to do yourself,I never was asked for or had to submit any SAD form?

• Advertisement
Advertisement