Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork & Shannon

Options
  • 05-02-2024 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Basic question! Are both Cork and Shannon airports considerably better and easier experiences than Dublin?

I live about equal distance from each of them but have only used Dublin. Is it worth choosing them over Dublin if the flights are the same?

My last Dublin experience was pretty bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 whispering1

Am from Cork myself and last year I happened to sit next to a couple from Carlow who said it was their first time using Cork and they would be using it from now on. Another time met people from Wexford and they loved it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Infinitely better but the issue is the shortage of choice of destinations that Dublin has. Car to duty free in both cork and Shannon is less than 10 minutes. Car to airport shuttle in Dublin is easily 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭phog

Easier get through, same shite food if eating in the airport and terrible choice of destinations.

I live less than 30mins from Shannon but I fly out of Dublin more often than not.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Cork Airport is a dream in comparison to Dublin. I used to live near Cork Airport and one time it took just 16 minutes from leaving my house to browsing the shopping after security screening. It's a lovely airport but destinations are limited enough. I've had good experiences in Shannon too the few times I've used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 FCTwenteBenson

Really depends what you want out of your airport experience. As mentioned often you can park, be through security and be sitting airside within 10-15 minutes for both Cork and Shannon. Neither are overly hectic with queues etc (at least not in my experience). Shannon also has the benefit of the newer security scanners so the 100ml liquid rule no longer applies there. Dublin being Irelands main airport is going to be busier, parking I tend to find to be a bit more expensive there, but the shuttle service from the car parks is handy. However, Dublin will also have far more variety in destinations as well as better food and shopping options than both Cork and Shannon. Flying from Dublin just requires a bit more planning especially if you live far away, give yourself an extra hour or two in case of any issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭fabvinny

We live about an hour from both and have to say both are great compared to the Dublin experience!! Kerry is even better! but obviously not the same choice of flights. Shannon would be my preferred choice,just so easy to park and the Airport is very rarely crazy busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Shannon is the best.

Advertisement