Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R/C Model Flying Fuel supply

Options
  • 05-02-2024 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,

I'm returning to R/C flying again after a long absence. Things have changed dramatically over the years and Willie Ownes has gone.

Can anyone advise where I can source the old Glo fuel for my OS and Irvine engines.

Alternatatively, is there a source for the chemicals to mix my own. I always felt it was a ripoff at the prices being charged.

Regards,

Jim

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

If it were made here it might cost less. But it isn't made here.

Insurance costs and weight make shipping costly then if you buy from the UK thanks to the EU rules you'll have VAT and customs duty on top of shipping. (Possibly the model shops do that for customers at a reasonable price. I no longer am up to date on those particular numbers.) The true cost is retail plus shipping. Often people don't add in the shipping to the door when making comparisons. Possibly the best long term comparison might be some multiplier x auto petrol at the pumps.

What part of the country are you in? Do you have a decent shop nearby?

If glow fuel is too much, you can now consider electric. Advice: stay away from the cheaper ones. Top class electric blows glowfuel away. In a crash situation electric motors are less strong than liquid fuel engines.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I meant to add, If you have a local model flying club, it's a good bet that the people there would know where the best value fuel available is to be gotten from.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jemser33

Just seeing this now, Many thanks for your reply.

Jim

Advertisement