Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5G or stay with 4G

Options
  • 05-02-2024 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi , I am in Rural West Cork and am getting an average of 35/50 download to the house with Eir mobile Broadband. It can go as high as 100 or as low as 10 on rare occasions.

Eir have now erected a 5G mast about 3 miles away. The 4G I now have, is about the same distance away, but in a different direction. I don't know anybody who has got the 5G yet. I am out of contract with Eir, so is there likely to be any benefit to me in switching to the 5G, assuming the land inbetween is fairly similar ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

3km, even worse - 3 miles, unlikely will provide 5G coverage, not without external antenna.

Rare there is "new" masts build, it is likely mast got upgrade and bands enabled.

I would suggest do extensive testing before you sign up for a contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭daphil

saw it being fitted to a new house thats due to be occupied soon, and the service man was putting an " antenna" ? on the gutter.

thanks for reply.

Advertisement