Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handicap recommendations for golf clubs

Options
  • 05-02-2024 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

What are people’s experiences with clubs that are ‘recommended’ for a lower handicap player. 

I’m currently off 22 and I’m looking at a new set of irons. I currently have a set of low lofted game improvement irons that are great but very low spin and I find them to be very inconsistent. often, I’ll catch one out of the middle and it will absolutely fly (hit an 8 iron 190+ yards once or twice - not ideal) 

I have my eye on a set of srixon zx5s but all I keep reading is they are ‘mid-handicap’ irons and that unless you play off less than 16 you shouldn’t bother. 

How true is this? Unless they are super thin blades, does this matter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Best advice, given how expensive clubs are now, is get a fitting before you buy.

I wouldn't get overly hung up on the description attached to clubs tbh, but I do believe in the old adage of "use the biggest friendliest clubs you can bear to lok at". I'm using the ZX5s and I love them. I made sure the fitting was "blind" in that I didn't look at the bottom of the 6/7 different clubs the fitter gave me so I didn't know which make/model I was trying, apart from the Ping which was clearly obvious.

All that said, and with the greatest respect, if your current irons are great, would a couple of lessons help with consistency ? Might be worth getting a fitting to see if the issue is the clubs or technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 soverybored1878

Lessons are a fair shout and I’m just waiting on a slot with my club pro for a tune up. My irons aren’t actually my weakest point (my driving on the other hand…).

When I say great, I mean they’ve served me well and I hit them well but they are distances monsters (24 degree 6 iron). I’m not a slow swinger by any stretch so I’m just sitting here thinking, do I really need a pitching wedge to go 140 yards and have to carry two gap wedges?

plus….I’m a sucker for a forged club when ive had the chance to hit one but have never owned a set.

How do you find the ZX5’s, just out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

ZX series are lovely looking clubs ok. I did a lot of looking at them myself but I went for a fitting with an open mind.

I have the Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal just over a year now. They're probably more on the game improvement side than I'd have picked myself but I'm very happy with them. Easy to hit, long and I know I definitely get away with imperfect strikes more.

I ranged between 12-14 HI in last 2 years. I'm in my early 60s but reasonably active and fit.

I'd echo everything that @Russman said in his post.

Yeah I hear ya, re the strong lofts and gap wedges in modern sets.

Love the ZX5's, got them in late 2022 after a fitting and couldn't be happier with them. Only tiny downside is the PW at 44 degrees makes gapping a little tricky. This season I'm actually going to experiment with two gap wedges @ 48 & 52, plus a 56 and dropping the lob wedge. Honestly I think it was the fitting that has made them work well for me - I'd never have put myself in the shaft I ended up with - Modus 120 over the stock 105, but it really convinced me of the benefits of fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭big_drive

Think you're spot on with the 48,52,56 gapping, should work well

• Advertisement

Yeah I think so. I'm old enough to have grown up without lob wedges and never felt I needed one, so I'd rather close the 25 yard gap between PW & GW that I had last year than have a lobber for the handful of times in a season I might "need" it.

Apologies Op, waaaay off topic !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

My set came with PW of 43* so had to make adjustments on other 3 wedges to gap right.

I have 43*, 49*, 54*, 58*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭big_drive

Heard an interview recently with Eddie McCormack from Galway who is the current European Seniors Amatuer champion. Also the holder of numerous Irish championships.

He mentioned highest loft he uses is 56 so if it's good enough at his level any of us handicap golfers should be just fine without anything higher

• Registered Users Posts: 33 soverybored1878

i have a 42.5 degree pitching wedge (which is pretty much a 9 iron in old money). Luckily the set comes with a GW of 48 and I bought a 52, 56 and a 60. I don’t use the 60 that much so I’m tempted to bin it.

reckon I’ll go for a fitting and just see what I end up with. I ended up with my current clubs when I just started playing and thought distance was king and was ignorant to spin, loft, dispersion, consistency etc.

I hit some clubs on a simulator and hit a 7 iron 185 and was sold.

callaway apex also on my list to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bobster453

Yep 56 degree and adjust stance and face position and you can play it as a gap or loft wedge not just a sand wedge.

The way golf is supposed to be played not 14 wedges in the bag.

Still i suppose the club makers have to be profitable too😀

• Advertisement
Advertisement